Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Possible Survivor Found ... 1969

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
So I was in Miami for Thanksgiving, and I spend some time with my old College roomate while down there. Turns out he has a relative with a white 1969 Coupe that hasn't been driven in 18 years, and is the original owner!!

I'm working on getting more details. Obviously the motor will need gone through.

Here's what I know:

63000 miles
3 speed

Per the owner...

The title says it is a 1969 chev 2D 3156 color white. BHP 315 Three speed Trans.

The HP thing throws me off a bit. Anyone have ideas?

I'm waiting for the Vin #, and some pictures. I also want to find out if #'s match.

Thanks,
Dave

So I was in Miami for Thanksgiving, and I spend some time with my old College roomate while down there. Turns out he has a relative with a white 1969 Coupe that hasn't been driven in 18 years, and is the original owner!!

I'm working on getting more details. Obviously the motor will need gone through.

Here's what I know:

63000 miles
3 speed

Per the owner...

The title says it is a 1969 chev 2D 3156 color white. BHP 315 Three speed Trans.

The HP thing throws me off a bit. Anyone have ideas?

I'm waiting for the Vin #, and some pictures. I also want to find out if #'s match.

Thanks,
Dave
Yes Dave,Back then allot of states Listed HP as Taxable Hp and it wasn't as much as GM said it was!!!I've ran into that allot years ago!! The 3 Sp. would be purdy rare I think, But the 4Sp. and Automatic was Optional and most people wanted a 4Sp. or Automatic!!

Yes Dave,Back then allot of states Listed HP as Taxable Hp and it wasn't as much as GM said it was!!!I've ran into that allot years ago!! The 3 Sp. would be purdy rare I think, But the 4Sp. and Automatic was Optional and most people wanted a 4Sp. or Automatic!!

Junk.. do ya think this is a 350HP? Did they make a 427 w/a 3 speed?

In '69, the 3-speed base transmission was only available with the standard 300hp 350.

The "Taxable HP" some states used was shown on the MSO, and was based on an SAE formula that involved bore/stroke/number of cylinders - had no relationship at all to actual "horsepower".

:beer

Junk.. do ya think this is a 350HP? Did they make a 427 w/a 3 speed?
I really don't know,Dave!! I've only seen 1 69 vette with a supposedly original 3 Sp. manual trans,and it was a small block!!! I think that JohnZ would be the man that could answer that!! He's Like the Corvette God,and I myself would regard his word on the matter as Gospel!!!!! Shoot him a PM!!!:upthumbs

In '69, the 3-speed base transmission was only available with the standard 300hp 350.

The "Taxable HP" some states used was shown on the MSO, and was based on an SAE formula that involved bore/stroke/number of cylinders - had no relationship at all to actual "horsepower".

:beer
I got busy here in the office and I see you don't have to now, he Sniffed this out like a Blood Hound!!;LOL :upthumbs

If it is original engine it has to be either 300 HP or 350 HP per GM ratings. If state ratings apply as far as taxable HP I don't know. The 3 speed was the base transmission on the 69 Corvette and it was not very popular. According to a NCRS Spec guide I have it was only chosen for 326 cars. It certainly is rare, not very desirable but rare.

Keep us informed and let us know what it looks like.

...The 3 speed was the base transmission on the 69 Corvette and it was not very popular. According to a NCRS Spec guide I have it was only chosen for 326 cars. It certainly is rare, not very desirable but rare....

The 3 speed manual tranny was the base transmission for 68 and 69; went to 4 speed for the '70 models. You got the 3 speed in 68/69 if you did not specify any of the optional transmissions. Most buyers went with the automatics or 4 speeds, making the 3 speed cars rare for both years.

:)

3 speed automatic (a la turbo 400) maybe?

It's a 3 speed manual.
It's white
It's in decent shape... original owner.
Hasn't been run in 18 years.

I have pictures... send me a PM if interested. I can't afford it right now.

Dave

VIN: 194379S724142

I have heard that a lot of people opted for the 3-speed manuals in cars in the 60's because the insurance was a lot less. I don't know for sure, I wasn't born until 1966, and I wasn't into cars until 1971, when I got to ride in my first SD455 Firebird.

Let's see some pictures!

With regard to insurance in the late 60's and early 70's it is very likely that a 3 speed would reduce the costs but not much. I lived in New York City I looked at a 62 back in 69 that would have cost me $2000 but the insurance for liability insurance alone would have been about $3000. Needless to say I didn't get the 62.

VIN: 194379S724142
Yep thats the VIN alright!! Well Dave you can rest now,Matilda is Safely tucked away somewhere in the hill's of Western NC out of the weather till I get time to get her going!!:upthumbs Thanks Dave!!:upthumbs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep thats the VIN alright!! Well Dave you can rest now,Matilda is Safely tucked away somewhere in the hill's of Western NC out of the weather till I get time to get her going!!:upthumbs Thanks Dave!!:upthumbs
You bought the car, Junk?
Why would the original owner have changed the steering wheel, I wonder?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom