Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post-tuneup issue

racsluos

Corvette
1987 Gold Coupe
Hi all,

Since I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, I've got a slight jerk/stutter around the 1800-2100 rpm mark while maintaining a steady speed/rpm. Not sure if this qualifies as a 'miss' or not. I replaced the new Delco plugs today with no-gap Bosch Platinum 2's, but the problem still exists. What would you guys recommend checking at this point?

Info:
-1987 auto coupe
-Replaced wires/cap/rotor with Delco parts
-Cap&rotor seem a bit noisier now, though it could be because I'm listening hard for something wrong.
-TPS was adjusted to 0.54 recently, so doubt it's that...
-Drove it hard a couple nights before the tuneup, would a slight leak in the intake cause this behaviour? Just trying to think of non-cap/rotor/wires things...
-Wires routed well, close to factory style.

Will redo wires/cap/rotor with higher-end products if it comes to it, but thought the Delco would be OK for this kind of thing. Anything special to do I may have missed during cap/rotor replacement? Would a lack of dielectric grease on plugs/wires cause this?

Thanks a ton for any advice...

-A.

Have you had any luck finding your problem yet?? If you are worried about the intake leaking you could compression test the radiator. That should work to see if you are losing pressure somewhere, hence the leak.

Have you had any luck finding your problem yet?? If you are worried about the intake leaking you could compression test the radiator. That should work to see if you are losing pressure somewhere, hence the leak.

This problem ended up turning into this:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89011

The short version of what I believe happened is...
-Did tuneup
-Did NOT replace ground strip/strap on ignition coil when doing cap and rotor
-This ended up causing the surging, etc...
-While troubleshooting, was manually opening the throttle a lot while trying to track down the issue.
-Ended up having to adjust the Idle Screw to compensate for whatever changes I unintentionally created when manually opening and closing the throttle with various tools...

cheers

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom