Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pounding sound in the rear with sudden turn

Mario93ZR1

Corvette
'93 ZR-1 & '99 Coupe
Since a couple of weeks I hear a single pounding sound when I make a sudden turn with my '04 convertible. This only happens once and also once per side. So: if I make a sudden turn to the left, I hear a pound in the rear. If I then make another sudden turn to the same side, no sound. If I make a sudden turn to the other side, again the pounding sound. Like something big is in the trunk, shifting from side to side (and no: I checked that already ;) ).

Since I also heard a faint grinding sound when going very slow and making small turns, I thought about the differential. A friend also pointed me to a problem in the diff in these models (2004, 2005), so I changed the oil in the differential for new oil with Limited Slip oil.

The grinding sound seems to have disappeared, but the pounding sound remains.

I would really love to solve this problem soon, since next weekend we have a Corvette meeting in Germany and since that's a 1500km trip I want the car to be in good health. :ugh

Since a couple of weeks I hear a single pounding sound when I make a sudden turn with my '04 convertible. This only happens once and also once per side. So: if I make a sudden turn to the left, I hear a pound in the rear. If I then make another sudden turn to the same side, no sound. If I make a sudden turn to the other side, again the pounding sound. Like something big is in the trunk, shifting from side to side (and no: I checked that already ;) ).

Since I also heard a faint grinding sound when going very slow and making small turns, I thought about the differential. A friend also pointed me to a problem in the diff in these models (2004, 2005), so I changed the oil in the differential for new oil with Limited Slip oil.

The grinding sound seems to have disappeared, but the pounding sound remains.

I would really love to solve this problem soon, since next weekend we have a Corvette meeting in Germany and since that's a 1500km trip I want the car to be in good health. :ugh
Check your Differential Mount and Engine Mounts!Sounds like you may have 1 or more broke!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom