Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Antenna Question

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

The previous owner put in an aftermarket stereo, so my antenna has never worked.

Is there any way I can apply 12v to it just to test and see if it can work?
I'm not asking how to make it go up and down with the radio being on/off, just how to test it.

Thanks!

If it's a factory antenna, there are two wires that power it. An orange that is constant hot and a yellow that triggers it. Apply power to the yellow. The relay is under the center arm rest all the way to the back, but you may find the yellow up near the radio if the previous owner just left it disconnected.
There's usually a wire on the aftermarket radios to attach to that yellow for the antenna.

When i installed my new Pioneer I also bought a connector that fits the factory connectors. Just a simple plug and play (unless bubba got at it!!)All the wires matched up. It only cost 9.99 at WallMart. The blue is for auto antenna which goes to the the yellow factory. Ensure you connect the acc. wire, it is the red one. :thumb

I just repaired mine. I used a battery charger (12 volts). My antenna has two wires, red and green. The red wire must have a constant 12 volts. The green wire connects to a switched radio output of 12 volts ( a battery lead that when the radio is turned on you get a 12 volt output).
Connect the charger's black wire (neutral/ground) to a ground connection on the antenna. Connect the red antenna wire to the charger's red lead, then momentarily connect the green antenna wire to the red charger wire also- if all is well, the antenna will operate.

I use the charger for all my bench tests that require 12 volts.

Jim

Ive got one that is stuck in the up position and id like to get it to go down. I dont use the radio at all, only the cd player. Anyone have any ideas on how to lower it manually and how to go about getting to it?

Sounds like the switched wire (green) was disconnected while the antenna was fully extended. If you can't find the antenna wires under the dash, you can crawl under the car, find the antenna wire connectors (at the rubber grommet that goes into the car's interior), disconnect them, apply a 12 volt power source to the red wire, then apply 12 volts to the switched wire (green). If that doesn't work, just remove the antenna and work on it at your work bench.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom