Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! power antenna runs constantly

productpedler

Corvette
1982 Silver over Charcoal#1654
:ugh My power antenna runs all the time. I unplugged it to make it stop. What does it take to fix that?

The nylon leader that pushes the mast up and down broke. All the vendors sell the repair part or you can still order it over the parts counter at any GM dealer. Pt no. 22038195 or 97 with CB. Instructions come with it.
Hardest part is getting at it to remove it from the car.

Same problem with my '82. The top thin section moves up and down freely and the motor kept running until I pulled the fuse.

Two questions on the power antenna removal in order to fix it. Do I have to unscrew the ring around the antenna at the top of the fender? I see two screws holding the motor assembly to the car underneath.

Also, there are 3 power wires going to the antenna and also the antenna cable. The 3 power wires comes from a goromet from the rear wheel fender area but there seems to be no plug to disconnect in order to remove the antenna. How do I remove the antenna without cutting the wires?

Thanks much.

Yep, you unscrew the ring. I've used needle nose pliers, carefully, to turn it off. SHOULDN'T be real tight as it's against paint.
Remove the driver side rear speaker or cover. You may find a connector back there, otherwise it goes all the way to the relay. No connector, most people cut and resplice the wires. If there is a connector, you'll need to pop the rubber plug out and slit it lengthwise with a razer knife to get the wires out. Another reason people just cut the wires.

I cut the 3 wires:madto remove the unit.I drilled the rivets out and removed the clips from the antenna unit to expose a broken weed whacker line which causes the motor to just keep spinning.I ordered the part and have been waiting for almost a month now for it...I have the CB on my 79' and no one has the part.Corvette Central claims they will ship one on the 7th for $25.....I'm waiting.........

We've been discussing this in another thread and it appears the repair kits for both the CB and nonCB antennas are either discontinued or being discontinued.
In other words it looks like the Corvette vendors may be the only source for these til they run out.
I do have a new GM part number for the nonCB repair kit, 19151297. Might be worth checking with a GM parts desk.
My GM parts guy did print me out a list of dealers who still show them in inventory. When they're gone, that might be it, tho.

Well Mike....2 delivery dates arrived and passed w/o an antenna repair kit....Is your xtra one in good shape ?...Does it look like the attached pic ?..If so, I WANT IT !....This is really frustrating, just trying to find a few parts that will make the car complete.....I actually like using the CB on the highway to hear the truckers for 5/0 heads ups.....Let me know.....Thanks!

Hey Jeff, yep, that's what I have. Brand new in the Delco package.
Last time I bought a few I bought all CB repair kits. I use them mostly for repairing the earlier aluminum housing antennas where I need to cut the hook off the end. Using it in a non CB antenna I simply cut an additional 4" off the nylon part too.
I've got 4 antennas for sale in another thread that all have new leaders in them so I'm in good shape parts wise.
I do still have 2 non CB repair kits on hand, anyway. And the CBs are kinda rare anyway.
I guess $25 plus actual shipping. Send me a check when you get it.
Let me know. Sure you don't want to wait a few more days for Corvette Central?
Mike

Honestly Mike, I'd rather have two at this point .I really doubt that Corvette Central will be able to get one though.....As difficult as it is to get them, a spare is probably a good thing to have,even if they do actually send one too....Send it along...I know the drill....THANKS!!!!:thumb

I'll put it in the mail tomorrow. Flat rate priority mail, I think $5.75.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom