Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Antenna

scrasm

Corvette
81 Grey/Blue Two Tone
Hi All,

I'm having trouble keeping power antennas from burning out. I have fried 2. Is there a kit I can buy to convert to a non-power antenna?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

I would think that you could get a replacement antenna anywhere and just run the coaxial cable back up to the radio..

I have bought the eckler antenna and so fat so good, I also shifted over to satellite now I don't use the antenna at all

I have never had to replace mine yet. I keep the mast lightly oiled so it slides easier but still have had to raplace the mast cable a couple of times.

Tom

If the antenne is up, why not pull the power plug? Then it will stay up and it wouldn't burn out again.

I've removed the entire antenne and filled the hole before repainting. I'll place a wire antenne behind the rear bumper.

Groeten Peter

:w

Rare is a UL5 Optioned car (Radio Delete) thus she came with no antenna, see picture below ;)

I did as Peter suggested, I mounted a 30" antenna across the back up under the body tie wrapped for a secure mount. Radio works great ;)

attachment.php

Bud

I think I'm just about through the same problem myself. I tried an aftermarket antenna at first, but what no one seems to understand (including me, until now) is that it needs two grounds because of the fiberglass body. So, I fried one.

I bought the correct antenna from Eckler's, which solved the wiring problems, but I have one remaining: the coax running to the antenna. A rare connector is used for the cable at the mast, and mine is ruined. I don't want to switch out the whole cable. Anyone know what this connector is called?

Welcome to the CAC and the L81 Registry juice110. You hit the nail on the head with the grounding issue. That may be scrasm's problem.

Tom

I think I'm just about through the same problem myself. I tried an aftermarket antenna at first, but what no one seems to understand (including me, until now) is that it needs two grounds because of the fiberglass body. So, I fried one.

I bought the correct antenna from Eckler's, which solved the wiring problems, but I have one remaining: the coax running to the antenna. A rare connector is used for the cable at the mast, and mine is ruined. I don't want to switch out the whole cable. Anyone know what this connector is called?

I ran into this EXACT same problem excrpt the problem wasn't with the cable but with the connector on the mast. The connector is screwed on to the mast. Later model GM cars with power antennas have a different connector/cable but the screw holes line up the same on the antenna mast. As an interim solution (until I can make it exactly right), I just replaced the connector and cable from a newer chevy. Spending a few minutes in a u-pull junkyard can often yield alternatives that can work without spending big $$$.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom