Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Antenna

B

biceps1

Hey Gang,

I have a problem with the power antenna in my 1985. The motor continually cycles, even with the power off, and the antenna will not retract. I have replaced the antenna relay, but the problem continues. I had to cut the green wire to the antenna so the motor would quit spinning.

Any ideas?

hmm

i have a 85 too
when i bought it the guy disscounected the antenna on mine

i never messed with it yet,, but i will in the future, its on the list

it sounds like the ribbon... I think Ecklers sells just the ribbon instead of the whole unit.... They don't work on all of the antenna's though, It depends on which one you have... I am sure others will be able to help you out as well.

Had the same problem with my '85 early on and went through the same steps. Had to replace the antenna. I don't think the ribbons were available then (fifteen years ago). Even so, it'd still be an old antenna and the motor could fail shortly afterward. I think I'd consider a new unit. It's not a tough job by any means, and it's possible one of the websites like M/A or Ecklers may have the installation instructions posted.

Ecklers sells a after market one that is like 40 bucks

i would just buy that one if i was u

There many different GM power antennas. I think the 85 uses a giant piece of weedeater string in it.
At one time you could get repair kits from GM, now they want to sell you a whole antenna for big bucks.
I ordered a repair kit 3 or 4 years ago from Ecklers and fixed my 87.
Here are the numbers I saved. I think some of these numbers are GM PN's, a lot of Ecklers, MAD and others by GM stuff and re-sell it.
The kit cost @ $15
The antenna comes out from under the wheel well.

Antenna Repair Cable for Corvette
GR. 9.647
Cable
9804E7
on bar code:
0 36666 45350 8
Eckler's number

Hope this helps,

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom