Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Power locks and PKE fob

marcusr69

Corvette
'96 Polo Green Coupe - LT4
Hi all, recently joined and wanted to say thanks for all the info posted. It's helped correct various problems with a recently purchased 96 C4.

I do have a question though that I've not been able to find a definitive answer for. I've worked on the PKE system on the car and have had to replace the PKE module. The system programmed successfully with two new fobs but wanted to ask about how the power locks are supposed to work when PKE is off (manual mode). Currently when I hit the door button on the fob when the doors are locked only the passenger door opens/unlocks. My owners manual explains how to program and test the antitheft system but doesn't explain completely how the system is supposed to operate when the PKE system is off.

When I purchased the PKE module, the first one installed operated this way and I had the Chevy place warranty out the part for another. The parts guy seemed to think the module was defective. The second module operates the exact same way.

Little more info. Both door locks function correctly with the power lock buttons on both doors and both doors lock and unlock with PKE system on or active.

Just want to confirm when the PKE system is off/inactive that only the passenger door is supposed to unlock when the door button is press on the fob before I close up the dash.

Thx in advance for the help.

:welcome LT4's are great engines.

There should be a couple options for which doors open when the unlock button is pressed. One is to have both doors unlock, and the other is to have the drivers side door unlock only. If you set the alarm to unlock both doors, do they unlock? My first thought would be to make sure the wires from the door locks are plugged into the correct spots on the PKE module. If the passenger door is plugged into the drivers side connector, then that could explain the problem.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Thx Jason.

Yah, with PKE active I've gone thru the door setting options and have successfully set the system to open only the driver door and then reset to open both.

In both cases when PKE is set to off/inactive only the passenger door open...

Thx

Marcus, this is totally normal and it one of the biggest complaints the dealers see. Here's the way it is supposed to work.

Once programmed you NEVER have to press the door button again. Just wave the FOB at the driver's door and both doors will open (unless you have strong cell phone tower freq's stepping on it). Just press the coupe button and it will open the coupe window. The reason the right door only unlocks when you press the door button is because you are actually programming the PKE system from OUTSIDE the car. So, when you have it programmed, all you gotta do is wave the FOB and the doors will unlock.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the info, but I was thinking that the security system in the car actually had two working modes. The Passive mode where waving the remote at the car will unlock the driver's door and the passenger door if set up that way. This is working correctly on my car.

The second mode I'm trying to understand is when the PKE is turned off. In this case I understood that the only way to activate the anti-theft and lock the doors would be to use the power lock button on either door when the door is open to lock the doors and then close the door. This activates the anti-theft and obviously locks the doors. This is working. The final piece that I'm unclear on is why when I hit the door button on the remote it only unlocks the passenger door. The anti-theft is shut off and passenger door is unlocked. Just to be clear I only tap the button on the fob and the car responds. I'm not holding the button for any length of time that would cause any kind of reprogramming.

I just want to make sure that the new PKE module along with the car is working correctly. I don't really think I'll be using the PKE system in manual mode very offen I just want to make sure I don't have any other problems with the car.

If this is truely how the car/PKE system is supposed to work in the manual setting no problem. I just want to make sure I'm not gonna fry the new PKE module cause it wasn't cheap... :(

thx again...

Nope, you NEVER have to touch the FOB door button. Like I said, if you press the door button your are either taking it out of PKE mode or putting it back in PKE mode. I know it's a hokey system but that's the way the magic FOB works.

;)

PKE operation

marcusr69 your fob is working normally.
The PKE system will automatically unlock or lock the doors if it is 'active'. Holding the door key for about 2 seconds until the locks fully cycle either activates or deactivates the PKE. Doing this with the key in the ignition changes between one door (drivers) and two door operation.
Pressing the door key briefly is supposed to unlock the passenger door in 'inactive' mode.
Locking the doors (with the key, door slide switch or PKE) will set the alarm - which is a separate system from the PKE (even though they work together). Unlocking the doors with the PKE or key (not the door slide switch or power button) turns off the alarm.
Save the wave.

Hi all, recently joined and wanted to say thanks for all the info posted. It's helped correct various problems with a recently purchased 96 C4.

I do have a question though that I've not been able to find a definitive answer for. I've worked on the PKE system on the car and have had to replace the PKE module. The system programmed successfully with two new fobs but wanted to ask about how the power locks are supposed to work when PKE is off (manual mode). Currently when I hit the door button on the fob when the doors are locked only the passenger door opens/unlocks. My owners manual explains how to program and test the antitheft system but doesn't explain completely how the system is supposed to operate when the PKE system is off.

When I purchased the PKE module, the first one installed operated this way and I had the Chevy place warranty out the part for another. The parts guy seemed to think the module was defective. The second module operates the exact same way.

Little more info. Both door locks function correctly with the power lock buttons on both doors and both doors lock and unlock with PKE system on or active.

Just want to confirm when the PKE system is off/inactive that only the passenger door is supposed to unlock when the door button is press on the fob before I close up the dash.

Thx in advance for the help.
I have the same problem you are asking about.... did you find a solution?

Based on the replies I received it seemed liked the car was functioning the way it was supposed to so I didn't replace any other parts. I really didn't want to use the car in passive mode so what I did do though was kind of a work around. I purchased a couple of relays and tied them in with the power lock motor on the passenger door and ran the feed across to the drivers door. I disconnected the original feed on the drivers side. So now when I use the "manual" mode the driver's door responses to the passenger side and they both open. No delays or slow response. The only draw back is now the pke in passive mode will only open both doors. By doing this work around I lost ability to just open the drivers door in passive mode. For this to work in passive mode you have to make sure the car is set to open both doors (passenger door so it'll trigger open the drivers door) otherwise the security system will turn off but the doors won't open. Anyway, it was kind of a trade off to loose the ability to open just the drivers door in passive mode to be able to use the manual mode for both doors. It's been working great.

Hope this helps..

Marcus

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom