Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! power problems.....security?

stevet

Corvette
1989 black c4
I just bought a 1989 automatic vette. It has sat for around 3 years so yesterday I bought a new battery, drained the old gas and put in good gas. I turn the key on and have power to everything. As soon as I turn the key more to start the car all power and dash lights is lost to the car. I left it alone till this morning, disconnected the battery and reconnected it and I have power again. That is until I try to start the car. It does the same thing. I had the key tested thinking it maybe the vats but they said it is good. Please help!

I know you have a new battery but, believe it or not, if you key-up and see all the dash lights then go to start and everything dies, it sounds like either the battery is very weak or you have a problem with battery connections or cables.

I charged the battery and checked it and it shows good. When I try to start the car it makes a sound almost like a tv turning off.

Do you have access to a hoist? It sounds like the starter is engaging but not turning the motor over. It could be a bad starter or the motor could be froze. If the starter is bad it can act the way you describe. Some auto parts stores have an amp gage you can use to test the starter without pulling it off the car. If you pull the inspection plate from the bell housing you can use a screwdriver to pry on the flywheel and turn the motor to see if it will move. If it turns and the starter is engaging the starter is suspect. Hope this helps.

no access to a hoist, couldn't get it there if I did lol. I know the motor is not locked up. What confuses me is the fact that I get power back after I unhook the battery and put the terminals back on. It worked after the car sat all night, but when I tried the second time moments later it still had no power.

Ok. got a step furthur today. Cleaned all the battery cables and grounds on the car today and now it cranks over! it isn't getting gas though. Should I hear the fuel pump pressurizing the lines when I turn the key on? I'm a certified Harley mechanic, but cars make me feel a little stupid sometimes. lol.

Sounds like progress! Yes, you should hear the pump prime when you first turn the ignition switch on to crank it. If it is the fuel pump, then it is not that hard of a job to replace.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom