Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Window won't go down, only up

OSU-VETTE

Corvette
1985 Z51, Black with Purple Accents
Drivers side window has stopped going down, goes up, seems to be a little lower in the back vs the front, but when I push a little down on it while pushing the down window switch, it goes down, but stops with 2 inches exposed - 1 inch in the rear, 2 in the front. I have not tried to put it all the way up yet, concerned it could fall out, or worse.

I had an older truck that had a window jump it's track, but that would not move at all, this one appears to be off a little. I have not replaced anything in the door, nor the switches, the passenger side works fine, as did the drivers until today. Could it be the infamous ribbon cable? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The only way to find out is to pull the door panel off. I had a similar experience with my 84 and it was the ribbon cable. They are easy to replace. But time consuming. Make sure you use rivets, if you use screws make sure they do not bind. I purchased mine from Corvette Central and it costs about $20 for each side. The ribbons will be longer than what is needed, just use the old ribbon to mark the length before cutting off what is not needed. You can search CAC for more info. I did and the responses helped out quite a bit.

OK, got it all off, no ribbon cable, puzzled over it for a couple hours, took it to my local vette shop, I have a newer motor/regulater in it, not the lame 85. Turns out a weld had broken, their body shop put a nice weld on it, I got out cheap and it works! Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement, especially to Corvette Care in Columbus, Ohio, Scott and Lloyd are awesome!

Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom