Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

POWERING STEERING REBUILD

LVMYVT76

Corvette
1976 medium blue
I am going to attempt to rebuild my power steering valve and cylinder myself. The instructions that come with the kit are pretty vague. Anyone have a better link that will help? Replacing all hoses also.

when I did mine last year I read thru the directions several times to familiarize myself with the components and pieces...take your time and double check your work!!!!

Well I did find out why my power steering pulley was out of alignment, it was pushed on the pump too far. 1/2 inch too cloe to the pump. I just took it off and used a puller to bring it out to correct alignment and with the correct belt now.

Are you sure you have the correct pump for your car? I just measured my original pump shaft from the cast housing to the end of the pump shaft and it measures 1 1/16”. The correct pump should be Corvette Only 1975-1979
Brian

Yes, I even bought another pump, You can tell the older pumps by the neck and reservoir, quite a difference.

If you have a digi camera I suggest you take (several) pics immediately after separating the two halves of the valve body.

It may prove invaluable as there are several pieces that can go in a couple of different directions, one way being incorrect. Some of these differences are very subtle.

If you have a digi camera I suggest you take (several) pics immediately after separating the two halves of the valve body.

It may prove invaluable as there are several pieces that can go in a couple of different directions, one way being incorrect. Some of these differences are very subtle.
Well I had one part that I can find on the rebuild sheet. It is a flat washer that is about 7/8 inch wide with about a 5/8 hole in the middle. Do you still have your pictures that I can look at?

Well I had one part that I can find on the rebuild sheet. It is a flat washer that is about 7/8 inch wide with about a 5/8 hole in the middle. Do you still have your pictures that I can look at?

I do at home. I'll get them posted this evening. :w

This is how mine came apart.

http://members.cox.net/kopbet2/IMG_0455.JPG

http://members.cox.net/kopbet3/IMG_0456.JPG

http://members.cox.net/kopbet/IMG_0457.JPG

This is what came in my kit. The washer in the center is really two pieces, with an o-ring inside.

IMG_0458-2.gif
http://members.cox.net/kopbet/IMG_0458-2.gif

The pictures show the washer next to the spacer. The waher I am talking about is the one you have the o-ring in. I know the o-ring doesn't stay there, like you said. I'll tear it down tonight and put it in place. I had it there to start with. Do you remember a smaller flat washer towards the left end, maybe not shown in these pictures?? It is on the left side of the spacer and thin metal gasket towards the ball end?

The pictures show the washer next to the spacer. The waher I am talking about is the one you have the o-ring in. I know the o-ring doesn't stay there, like you said. I'll tear it down tonight and put it in place. I had it there to start with. Do you remember a smaller flat washer towards the left end, maybe not shown in these pictures?? It is on the left side of the spacer and thin metal gasket towards the ball end?

I don't recall off hand where the little o-ring went, but it was indeed a coincidence that it was inside the washer and not necessarily indicative of it's true location. I'll have to check the diagram. The washer you see in the pic is the same one shown in the kit. There should be a bevel on the washer.

The flat washer that has the small o-ring is maybe next to the large spacer that is between the two body parts.(?) I know where the small o-ring goes. But both of my diagrams don't point out the flat waher. They give all these fancy names to them instead of large flat washer etc. Plus the diagrams have been copied so many times you can't make out what they are. The corvette magazine story has great pictures, but leaves out a few steps and how to's.

The flat washer that has the small o-ring is maybe next to the large spacer that is between the two body parts.(?) I know where the small o-ring goes. But both of my diagrams don't point out the flat waher. They give all these fancy names to them instead of large flat washer etc. Plus the diagrams have been copied so many times you can't make out what they are. The corvette magazine story has great pictures, but leaves out a few steps and how to's.

This picture show it quite well, next to his right-hand index finger.

steering-008.jpg

does this go before the spacer and metal gasket? There was a small washer to the left, right after the plug to sleeve key.

If I remember correctly, the washer has the same diameter as the inside of the spacer and fills that space.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom