Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pre-Installion : Exhaust

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
So, I was changing the oil this weekend and I took a look up at the exhaust manifolds. Just a quick run-down of what I'm doing, I'm taking out the whole stock exhaust (manifolds to the tail pipes) and putting in the whole deal (headers, all new pipes, etc. etc.).

Well looking up at the exhaust manifold, it looks like this is going to be a big job. Those manifold bolts look near impossible to get a wrench on. Seems like everything is in the way, and the torque to get them off and some swing of the wrench. This looks like it's going to be a really tough job.

Anybody that's taken off their exhaust (and put new system on), what is it like? Is it as daunting as I'm seeing it to be???

Any ideas/suggestions/advice???

Thanks

So, I was changing the oil this weekend and I took a look up at the exhaust manifolds. Just a quick run-down of what I'm doing, I'm taking out the whole stock exhaust (manifolds to the tail pipes) and putting in the whole deal (headers, all new pipes, etc. etc.).

Well looking up at the exhaust manifold, it looks like this is going to be a big job. Those manifold bolts look near impossible to get a wrench on. Seems like everything is in the way, and the torque to get them off and some swing of the wrench. This looks like it's going to be a really tough job.

Anybody that's taken off their exhaust (and put new system on), what is it like? Is it as daunting as I'm seeing it to be???

Any ideas/suggestions/advice???

Thanks

I removed stock manifolds, cats and exhaust about three months ago and installed a set of JBA shorty headers and re-installed the cats last week, I will be installing a new corsa system in the next few weeks.
I was lucky with the removal of the stock manifolds and exhaust as the car has only run 8k miles and is still like new, I would suggest soaking or spraying all bolts with WD40 or Plusgas a few days before attempting to remove them and make sure the engine has not been runnning for a while otherwise you will burn, you will need to get the car off the ground onto jackstands, the exhaust comes off fairly easy apart from if you have an auto there were slight issues with removal of the exhaust pipe next to the auto transmission linkage, it came off eventually, but was a pita, the bolts holding the cats onto the chassis can be difficult to get at, I used mostly a 14mm & 15mm spanner with inbuilt ratchet one end, very useful tool, the cats to manifold bolts will require a long reach extension bar with ratchet, again 14mm or 15mm long socket, some of the bolts on my car were A/F and some Metric, best check before you damage your knuckles.
The electrical connections for the 4 oxygen sensors electrical can also be difficult to disconnect as the two rear ones are difficult to get at, I also decided to replace these although my car has low mileage I did not want any issues with them, the rear two sensors are the most difficult to reconnect as well, the passenger side rear is the worst.
I found that it is best to complete this work at a reasonable pace as it can be quite difficult working under the car on your back, if you rush this work and do not concentrate on what you are doing the task will take a lot longer, anyway,
I hope I have been of some assistance and wish you luck, please email back if you want any further info.

I removed stock manifolds, cats and exhaust about three months ago and installed a set of JBA shorty headers and re-installed the cats last week, I will be installing a new corsa system in the next few weeks.
I was lucky with the removal of the stock manifolds and exhaust as the car has only run 8k miles and is still like new, I would suggest soaking or spraying all bolts with WD40 or Plusgas a few days before attempting to remove them and make sure the engine has not been runnning for a while otherwise you will burn, you will need to get the car off the ground onto jackstands, the exhaust comes off fairly easy apart from if you have an auto there were slight issues with removal of the exhaust pipe next to the auto transmission linkage, it came off eventually, but was a pita, the bolts holding the cats onto the chassis can be difficult to get at, I used mostly a 14mm & 15mm spanner with inbuilt ratchet one end, very useful tool, the cats to manifold bolts will require a long reach extension bar with ratchet, again 14mm or 15mm long socket, some of the bolts on my car were A/F and some Metric, best check before you damage your knuckles.
The electrical connections for the 4 oxygen sensors electrical can also be difficult to disconnect as the two rear ones are difficult to get at, I also decided to replace these although my car has low mileage I did not want any issues with them, the rear two sensors are the most difficult to reconnect as well, the passenger side rear is the worst.
I found that it is best to complete this work at a reasonable pace as it can be quite difficult working under the car on your back, if you rush this work and do not concentrate on what you are doing the task will take a lot longer, anyway,
I hope I have been of some assistance and wish you luck, please email back if you want any further info.

Lucky for me, I'll have access to a suspension lift, so I'll be able to walk under the car. How were the exhaust manifolds coming off? Was it reasonable to get at those bolts? The driver's side bolts from exhaust manifolds -> heads looked like they were quite hidden.

It is no problem at all as long as you have some elf like slaves.:rotfl With the right tools it is only a pain in the A$$... not impossible.:W

You need a set of crow's feet in 3/8¨drive and a set of ratchet wrenches (craftsman or snap-on) and you are set to go.

When you put it back together you will need to torque the bolts by feel. There is noway to get a torque wrench on the back bolts with out ¨removing the car prior to assembly.¨

Good luck and keep us posted.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom