Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pre-lube engine

Peabs

Corvette
1968 & 1996 Coupe (LT4)
I've installed a new GM performace long block (350 CI) in my 84 Vette, instructions say to pressurize the oil sytem first to prevent a first time dry start by using a drill through the distributor hole for a couple of minutes, and reminds me to spin the drill in the correct direction, but doesn't tell me which that would be? Any help on this one? Clockwise, Counter?

Jeff.

CW and I always pre filled the oil filter to help the pre-lube along.

Clockwise

Pre-lubing should be clockwise. Think of your distributor rotation as it fires the plugs, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Not sure if you have the proper tool, it's not just a matter off cutting off a long screwdriver blade-you need to have the spacer at the lifter valley to lube the lifters and top end. Moroso makes the proper one, about $25 through Summit Racing or Jeg's. People have also reworked an old distributor by pulling the guts. It's that center band that "covers" the lifter valley, and gets oil to the top.

The suggestion of filling the oil filter first is good. I also like to have someone turn the key on (if a light) and/or watch the gauge. If no one is available, I use a big mirror and watch through the windshield.

I also "bump" the engine over 1/3, lube it again, bump 1/3 and lube it again. This ensures all of the lifters and rockers have had plenty of chance to get pressurized oil feed. This may be excessive, but it's a comfort for me. Let it settle a bit and recheck your oil level-it may need topping off. Good luck, and enjoy your first firing! :)

Rick

Please tell us more about your new motor! :D

RodsnRides said:
Pre-lubing should be clockwise. Think of your distributor rotation as it fires the plugs, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Not sure if you have the proper tool, it's not just a matter off cutting off a long screwdriver blade-you need to have the spacer at the lifter valley to lube the lifters and top end. Moroso makes the proper one, about $25 through Summit Racing or Jeg's. People have also reworked an old distributor by pulling the guts. It's that center band that "covers" the lifter valley, and gets oil to the top.

The suggestion of filling the oil filter first is good. I also like to have someone turn the key on (if a light) and/or watch the gauge. If no one is available, I use a big mirror and watch through the windshield.

I also "bump" the engine over 1/3, lube it again, bump 1/3 and lube it again. This ensures all of the lifters and rockers have had plenty of chance to get pressurized oil feed. This may be excessive, but it's a comfort for me. Let it settle a bit and recheck your oil level-it may need topping off. Good luck, and enjoy your first firing! :)

Rick
Yep, clockwise is the way to go. Use a heavy duty drill. A light duty 1/4" drill driving the pump at low rpm will be smokin' in no time. Leave at least one valve cover off (preferably both) to see when oil reaches the top end.
You may not have to buy the prelube tool. Some auto parts stores have them to rent or use on a loaner basis (I've borrowed one from Auto Zone).
Filling the filter is always a good idea - even at regular oil changes.
Rick has a good idea about prelubing with engine in different stages of rotation. Yeh, maybe excessive - I've never done it but will next time.
And you do know about proper break in procedure for the cam and lifters?
Good luck on finishing the project. Let us know when she fires.
Terry

In addition to all of the above, although a little messy.
Give all moving parts a spray with Mobil 1 during assembly, then all parts are pre-lubed.!

About the engine....

Per the request for more info about the engine, it's a GM performance engine, new, rated at 290 hp (long block). This was the best and most cost effective solution for me. Machine shop charges were all well over $2,200 to rebuild, never know what your getting with a used engine, etc. This GM engine is actual for the Corvette model before '84, the '82. It carries a 12/12 warranty. The '82 engine had 190 hp but this one has a more agressive cam, or so I undestand, accounting for the higher HP. As such, I've grilled everyone I could to make sure I would end up with an engine that could pass CA emissions, bolt right up and not have to mess around to much with the ECM to make run right. Everyone says no problem, so the adventure has begun.

I am about 10 to 12 work hours from firing it up. I have the engine in, wired, fuel connected, etc. I just have to finish the front end installation of the air conditioning, air pump, alternator, power steering, radiator hoses and exhaust.

you can always use the poor mans/womans method as well. the past 3 new motors i was involved with i set everything up so it was ready to fire,filled the motor and filter with oil,then took coil wire off or hot wire off distributer,shut fuel off[pulled the pump fuse] left all the plugs out and just cranked the motor over till it built up proper pressure...the motor only cranks at like 3 or 400 rpm and all 3 motors took about 20 seconds or so to build pressure. 2 of the motors saw 7500-8500 rpm all weekend long and when they got ripped down to freshen last month,the machine shop said all the bearings looked like new,so it must be an acceptable way to pre lube the motors.

another poor mans way , find an old dist. point style is nice. little smaller.
grind all the gear teeth off plus a little , take everything off the top so you have a bare shaft attach drill , insert and pump.:)

Even poorer still... If you don't have a drill, use a speed wrench. That's what I used. ;)

Ken said:
Even poorer still... If you don't have a drill, use a speed wrench. That's what I used. ;)

your project made you that poor ? ;LOL

:w

G Winter said:
your project made you that poor ? ;LOL

:w

Ken,

Show him that portfolio of receipts! :L

Edmond said:
Ken,

Show him that portfolio of receipts! :L
You mean this one (more than one ;)) ... :L

maintenancelogbooksmall2.jpg

Yep, that's the one. Have you ever totalled up the amount in that portfolio?

You don't wanna know... No wait! I don't wanna know!! I stopped counting before it hit six figures. ;LOL

Ken said:
You mean this one (more than one ;)) ... :L

maintenancelogbooksmall2.jpg

th-th-th-th-that much!!!!?? Maybe I don't need to go that fast.:eyerole

Update on engine installation

Just finished putting the engine in over the long holiday weekend and it fired right up on the first try! What a good feeling that was. Now, all the searching for leaks, checking fluid levels, retightening, fine tuning, etc. is next.

Way Cool

Outstanding.... :_rock :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom