Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Preparing to take a trip

Stingray74CC

Corvette
Black Cherry 1969 Stingray
I'm getting ready for about a 4 and a half hour drive this weekend (each way)....mostly highway. I purchased my 69 a couple months ago and I have only driven it a couple hundred miles since. I've had the car tuned up already but I wanted to find out if there are any major things that I should look at before or during the trip other than oil pressure and water temperature. Thanks for the help.

Check your gas guage once in a while.Just kidding.Happy Motoring:cool

Our local Corvette club takes trips on occasion that will sometimes include 400-500 one way trips. One thing that I have found out is that you most definitely want to have a credit card with you. No matter how good a shape your vette is in, there is always that possibility since we are talking about a 33 year old car, that you will break something . . .

It's far from a lead pipe cinch, that is if your vette is in good shape. However, you never know so be prepared. . .

Cell phone and your AAA card :) Chuck

Anthony,

You covered most the stuff you should watch, every so often, glance at your oil pressure, my guess is you should be seeing around 40 to 44 lbs on the road, water temp I would think on a 69 should be somewhere between 190~200 depending upon what thermostat you have. Also see where you RPM runs at different speeds. Check you odometer against the highway mileage posts, you can also get an idea if you speedo is registering correctly this way too.

Have confidence in your Corvette, wave at other Corvettes and Enjoy the ride. Of course observe all the above suggestions from BURGLAR, rpounds and ChuckG :dance

If you are running with other Corvettes find out if they are using the little two-way radio for communications, they are a slick little device, esp with the ear piece.

ENJOY ;)

BudD
:w

Thanks

Ya'll were beginning to worry me.....credit card, AAA, cell phone.:cry I believe in her. I think she'll do fine. I'll let ya know how it went Sunday evening.

My theory is if it runs ok around town it will run fine on a trip. Of course I don't know if this theory really works. ( I'm knocking on wood now). I keep telling myself this when I go somewhere.

I would make sure the front end doesn't shimmy before I left. As you may not ride around at interstate speeds for extended periods you might not notice if it does.

Enjoy your trip

Naturally, before you leave, check all your fluids, including brake fluid, you never know. Otherwise if it's been reliable around town don't worry too much, give her a good walk around before you go, and when you gas up, and enjoy the ride.

And don't forget the wave! :w

Steve :w

Make sure you have your spare aired up and your jack with you.

Also a small set of tools.

Rick

I'm looking forward to my first out of town trip too

Re: Thanks

Stingray74CC said:
Ya'll were beginning to worry me.....credit card, AAA, cell phone.:cry I believe in her. I think she'll do fine. I'll let ya know how it went Sunday evening.

I think most of us carry cell phones and AAA cards no matter what we drive. Just have a safe trip.

:w
Guy

Not me!

(no cell phone or AAA card) Wing & a prayer!

If I do have a problem, I meet some interesting people.
Last week it was the neighbor! :L Heater core blew out on the hwy and he stopped behind me and followed me home. :) He's a great neighbor!
Silver

Re: Not me!

78SilvAnniv said:
(no cell phone or AAA card) Wing & a prayer!

A "wing & a prayer"? That would have done me not one bit of good as I waited by the side of the road (I-40) in New Mexico last year. ...Or Nevada. :L

_ken :w

Since I have had the pleasure of driving Anthony's 427 3X2, you better watch that gas gauge REALLY close. With those 4:11 gears you may be filling up often. Just remember what I told you about those MD State boys with their unmarked 'Stangs on I-95. Enjoy your trip.

......... Nut

NUT, You're back to MD Safe and Sound

Thanks for the gas gauge advice....I'll remember the gas cap this time too.:L
Speaking of 4.11--I did have a question about the rear end. There was a problem with the positract making noise when it gets hot. I have the additive; how difficult is it to put it in? If I don't put it end will I damage the differential?:confused
I hope this beautiful weather keeps up tomorrow despite the morning showers. I'd love to take the trip with the tops sitting in the back.:J

DARN IT

Sorry...but had the whole story typed and my computer puked on me and "terminated" Internet Explorer. So here it goes again.

The trip ended up being 500 miles round trip...almost as much as the previous owner drove the car in the 7 years that he owned it. No new issues arose...in other words nothing broke down. I would use a smilie here but that's when my computer freaked out last time. I ended up getting 12 miles per gallon on the highway...much better than I expected the 3x2 427 with 4.11 rear end to get. I have a couple of questions.

1) Water Temp: The car doesn't have a thermostat. It ran at 210 on the highway and about 230 in traffic with the fan on and the heater on high. Will adding a thermostat help this? Which do you recommend?

2) Oil Pressure: The gauge read 34 psi on the highway and less in traffic. It seemed ok, but I know that Rare said he thought it'd be atleast 40.

3) Rear End: The rear end needed the positraction treatment. I added one bottle and it helped but the noise is still there. Should I add another? I also noticed a popping every now and then while going straight down the road. Is the rear end falling out of my car?

Nut, I can make that trip to BK now. I know my baby can do it and hold her own at highway speeds. She purrs at 60 mph and with a little pressure on the gas pedal will snap your neck and hit 90 to 100 in no time. I know it's unsafe but the turnpike was empty...had to see what would happen. Have a good one.

Glad you had a great time. This is for the others who might be hesitant about driving their babies farther than the local garage.
I recently faced the same issue with my 76 L-82 4-Spd and asked my (very competent, but salty) mechanic. His answer was to the effect that:

1. A Corvette is a Chevy with not much rocket science involved.

2. Stop babying the car. See the redline on the tach? You are allowed to go up to the redline.

3. You drive it 10 times in a row for 30 miles. What makes you think it cannot go 300 in one shot?

4. If you are afraid that it cannot go 300 miles, you should be ashamed of the car and get a new mechanic.

Go!

Anthony,

You should definately have a thermostat, without one your not allowing your radiator to do it's job. It hasn't got a chance to let the anti-freeze/ water to cool. I'm surprised you didn't see hotter temp's without one.

I'm faily sure that 34-35 psi is normal, someone correct me here but I believe oil pressure is affected by RPM. I don't know if there is a differance between bigblock's and small when your talking about oil pressure.

As for the rear-end, You might want to drain it and redo it one more time. I had to do mine twice But you may have to have it looked at by a pro.

Rick

Anthony,

I agree with Rick.. depending on RPM the oil pressure varies. I would think 35 is probably a good number. Also agree with the rearend comments..

I drove my '81 last year from California to Bowling Green and back. The only glitch in the trip was the turn signals develop a short in the steering column just before Kansas City and the way home.. Rare will make the same trip this year too. I bought Rare with 58,600 miles almost 4 years ago and she now has 74,000 I realize that's not a whole lot, but I am looking forward to her tuning 100,000 :D

Anthony,

I'm glad my cell phone didn't ring this weekend. Why worry about 90-100 on the T'Pike; we were doing that on Rt50 in mid afternoon! :D Anyway, get a thermostat 160-180 variety. I'd definitely redrain the rear and be sure to get the mixture EXACTLY right. Also, 35psi probably OK. It's when it starts hitting 60 you gotta worry.

We'll do a BK soon. I'll get a hold of Mad-Mic and maybe we do an Annapolis BK first. Glad you had a good time this weekend and made it back to the Yard w/o any problem.

........ Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom