Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[Press] 50th Anniversary 'Vette a bust

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From CNN:

50th Anniversary 'Vette a bust
Historic 2003 Corvette should have been a showstopper. What happened?
November 6, 2002: 3:52 PM EST

By Steven Cole Smith, Contributing Columnist

CHICAGO (Tribune Media Services) - General Motors, seldom a company to let a marketing opportunity go unexploited, flubbed the 50th anniversary of the Chevrolet Corvette. Don't get me wrong -- the Corvette is a superb vehicle, possibly the best, and certainly my favorite, American car.

How many vehicles get a 50th birthday? You can make an argument that the current Jeep Wrangler and Porsche 911 are similar enough to the vehicles built 50 years ago, but it's a stretch. I can't think of a car besides the Corvette that has kept the same name, configuration and mission for 50 continuous model years in the United States.

And though Chevrolet has plenty of grandiose plans for parties next year to celebrate, the biggest and best opportunity, a 50th Anniversary edition of the 2003 Corvette, seems done as an afterthought.

Paint some 2003 Corvettes a tepid cranberry called "50th Anniversary Red," tint the wheels gold, add some extra emblems and seat embroidery, and there you have it: The 50th Anniversary Corvette.

Yawn.

Not even the most powerful

What's the deal? Couldn't Chevrolet at least have made an anniversary Corvette from the 405-horsepower Z06 model, instead of the standard 350-horsepower model?

Couldn't Chevrolet have found a more appropriate color? (Gold, maybe?) Found better wheels? Different seats? Done a little bodywork on the front or the rear -- as plenty of aftermarket companies have done, and quite successfully -- to set the car apart? It would take a good shop about two days to turn a plain 2003 Corvette into a 50th Anniversary model, and that's just sad.

Thanks, Chevrolet, but no thanks, if this is the best you can do.

At least they didn't charge a whole lot more for it. The Anniversary package adds $5,000, and it gets you the otherwise optional Magnetic Selective Ride Control. The MSRC works by using fluid in the shock absorbers that has tiny metal particles in it.

By controlling the current to an electromagnetic coil inside the piston of the shock absorber's damper, the fluid's consistency can be changed. For performance, you want thick fluid. For a smooth ride, you want thin fluid. The system senses what is required -- one wheel at a time - -- adjusts the fluid accordingly, using magnetic impulses.

It works far better than you'd think. As an option on regular Corvettes, it's about $1,700, but as mentioned, it's part of the $5,000 Anniversary package.

Of course, none of my complaints about the marketing is the car's fault, and the test car was a nice one. I prefer its four-speed automatic transmission over the six-speed manual, though you can get the manual in the Anniversary edition.

Some very nice points

The convertible top works well, but for over $50,000, you'd expect it to be power-operated -- you must stop the car and get out to raise or lower it, but when it is lowered, at least it's protected beneath a hard cover. There isn't a lot of trunk space, but what there is can be accessed easily.

Inside, the leather-trimmed seats are very comfortable. The 1997-and-newer Corvettes don't require the gymnastics older models did to get in and out, but anyone taller than 6 feet can't do it gracefully.

On the road, the 2003 Corvette convertible is solid and virtually free of body flex. The 5.7-liter V-8 has plenty of punch, maximized by the responsive transmission. Fuel mileage is rated at 18 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, but if you're light on the accelerator, you can beat that. Of course, being light on the accelerator is something Corvette owners are typically not very good at.

As dismissive as it is, then, is the $5,000 Anniversary package worth it? If you're a collector, perhaps, but after all, every 2003 Corvette gets "50th anniversary" badges on the front and rear, and I'd rather save some money, and pick a different color. And I'd pay the extra $1,700 for that Magnetic Selective Ride Control.

There's nothing wrong with the special-edition 50th Anniversary Corvette, but it just isn't as special as it ought to be. What a shame.

I think it was one thing for die hard Vette' people to criticize the 50th disappointment, but you know it's bad when members of the Associated Press realize that Chevy really let a great opportunity to lure a lot of consumers towards not only Corvette, but also other GM brands.

Well its like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and when I am driving my AE Convertble it makes me feel good. I have had more heads turn and had more people compliment the car in the 2 days that I have owned it than I have with my 2002 Mag Red Vert and my 96 Special Edition Vert in all the time I have owned them.

Sure it would have been great if GM would have dropped the Z06 power plant in the car but I am not complaining the car rides like a dream, has plenty of power with the 6 speed tranny and is an eye catcher for sure.

I was at the plant to watch my being built on Oct 24,25 and over 1/3 of the cars being built were AE's mostly Verts. I was at the plant yesterday and saw the same. Someone must like them, they are mostly presold orders and the ones dealers are getting on the show rooms are not staying there over a day or 2.

wow, im not all that crazy over C5's, or speical editons for that matter (cept for the Grand Sport), but it just hit me that this is #50, no other car has come this far, and Chevy dosent do anything speical with this Corvette, execpt for the MSRC, which i wouldnt want becuase you cant get a few inchs off the ground. the color isnt the nicest color, but atleast it is better than pink. I think chevy should of put alot more planing in this, like 5 yrs worth. I hope the 100th will be better. I will be 65 then, and could most likely afford a 2nd or 3rd Corvette.

Rodney,

I don't think we were disappointed in the appearance of the 50th, it's really a beautiful car. But I think everyone was expecting much more than a cosmetic package. I mean, on your 50th wedding anniversary, you do more than just wear a nice suit for the day right?:L

• Admin
Edmond said:
...... Chevy really let a great opportunity to lure a lot of consumers towards not only Corvette, but also other GM brands.

Edmond, That sums up the whole thing quite well.

vettepilot

I think it's a beautiful car with the exception of the cheap looking emblems . They could have , at least , made them gold ! Cliff

A agree that the 50th Anniversary C5 is a "bust".

It seems that Chevrolet and the "C5 Team" spent more time working on the 50th Anniversary merchandise (cups, jackets, etc. etc.) than they did on the car.

Oh well....

vettepilot said:
Edmond, That sums up the whole thing quite well.

vettepilot

Kind of off subject a little bit here, but could one imagine how much potential business that GM (or Ford and DC for that matter) are losing to the foreign market.

The image with kids these days, the same kids who are buying the econo cars and spending money on them I might add, are the same ones who believe that American cars have a poor quality. I'll admit that it wasn't too long ago when Cavaliers and other such small American econo cars had very poor quality but that's totally different these days.

Competition is good for the consumer. When is GM going to make a supercharger an RPO? DC and Ford are doing it.

You are RIGHT! The 50th Ann Edition Vette is not worth the money and a poor representation of a 50th ann vette! So, I urge everyone to not buy this car! Why? Because I did buy it and I love the color and all the extras that GM integrated on the vette!! This way since none of you are buying it my vette will be worth a bunch! But I wouldn't sell it anyway! Opinions are like a__holes, everyone has one!

Unfortunately I agree with the article. I actually ordered a 50th anniv. convert. back in April. It just arrived and I was extremely disappointed. It didn't look special and was certainly not worth the additional costs. Since I plan on driving the car and having fun with it, having the optional anniv. package did not make sense for me.

I opted for a 2002 triple black convert loaded and saved over $5000 off the sticker. A great deal and, in my opinion, a much hotter looking car.

Too bad because GM really blew a opportunity for a killer one-of-a-kind car!

:w and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

How many 50th's did GM make?

That's the other problem, if this was a limited production car maybe it would make sense to buy it. With a production estimation of 10k to 15k, they are readily available.

Also, I didn't like the color scheme. I agree with one of the other people, it should've been gold (or at least a unique one of a kind color).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom