Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Prevents body flex -C4 (top off)

Y

Yellow96

Can anyone give me the name of the company that sells a product for the C4 when yoy take off the targa top- That prevents body flex(keeps the body stable)--looks like a roll bar.
For the life of me I can't remember the company--I forums products.
Thanks JOHN STW:s

Try this link.
http://www.r-dracing.com/CROSS-FRAME.htm
This is a X-member under the car. For my last ZR-1 I had a shop add a plate under convertible X-member changing it from C-channel to more of a box section and it made a world of difference. This piece should do the same.

It's a shame but Dave Cooper of R-D Racing doesn't come around here much anymore. :(

_ken :w

I'm gonna pick up a camber brace this summer. I've heard great things about them.

Camber brace will tie your left and right side of front suspension. No doubt it will sharpen C-4's reflex. However, IMHO, weakest part of C-4 is chassis, especially with the targa off. X-member brace is probably the most effective fix.

I see you are rotating your "bulge" avatar.:w

Agreed. When I take that top off it's like a fish on a hot skillet when you go over some decent bumps! :eek

Yes, I have quite a collection of avatar pics! :)

secondchance said:
Camber brace will tie your left and right side of front suspension. No doubt it will sharpen C-4's reflex. However, IMHO, weakest part of C-4 is chassis, especially with the targa off. X-member brace is probably the most effective fix.

I see you are rotating your "bulge" avatar.:w

Yellow96,

I have the R/D Racing camber brace & cross bar. They are both wonderful and provide chassy support that should have come from the factory.

The car feels so much better & solid with the top off and on. The best way to confirm this is when the car is jacked up. No more "moaning" when the car is jacked up from one jacking point.

I do not like the targa truss because of how it looks and my car sits low enough so I doubt i'de do the frame brace.

Thanks for the reply---I will check on these products--Mid-America does not carry it anymore-it was a hot seller for them--I spoke to a rep(he does'nt know why)-they canceled it.
Thanks again-----STW John;worship

Just FYI, I have the CrossBar and while it does reduce shimmy a bit, it's nowhere as good as the Truss.
[RICHR]

I have the cross bar... great product.

I plan on doing his xbrace next.

however, the reason the vette flexes - it was designed to have a T-bar roof!!!

design came in and said "get rid of the bar". McClellen says "no, it will weaken the structure". They say "yes". it becomes a fight, and of course, GM does not spend the extra money to make it right.

when the top comes out, the front half of the chassis becomes a cantilever!

a real mess, eh?

I have the camber brace and cross bar installed, and my car is solid. Thinking about the x brace for more stiffness, but will wait until I hear how well it works from someone else who actually has it installed.

I've heard really good things about the cross bar & camber brace.
I plan to try the camber brace, and an Arizonia speed & marine cross bar. (like the look)
I adjusted my top mounting bolts about a year ago, and switched to a solid top from a glass top, car is night and day different, it stopped allmost all the noise & rattles.

:TALK
I have a convertible, with a hard top. From what I have read, and heard, the convertible with the hardtop installed is the stiffest setup for a factory C4.

My problem is that i tend to drag my factory "X" brace over speed bumps, and the occasional bounce in the freeway.

Granted, it is lowered 3/4" , but honestly, it caught bumps/bounces on the freeway stock.

I did auto-x once (first time ever) last year at Vettes on the Rockies, and I had the hard top on. It would have looked cooler to have no top, but I might not have taken 3rd. :cool

I might rework my cross brace. In a perfect world, I would be able to make is stronger, and not hang down as far. We shall see.....

I can see, I have some homework to do----Thanks again for all the help--John STW :beer

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrry--I hit the wrong key--it should have been reply NOT submit new reply-JOHN :bang

Topless,
For my last ZR-1(91), I had the shop stitch weld a steel plate and turn the factory convert. brace into more of a box section. Additional stiffness, once boxed, is huge.

Secondchance-
I might do that. With the hard top on, it is not bad, but come spring when the top comes off, ahhh it takes a while to get used to the body shake. Thanks 4 the info.

Things to consider: The camber brace ties your front end very tightly with no flex. This is great for racing but if you are using it for a daily driver, you may not like the very rough ride from the front end. What happens is that the normal flex in the front end absorbs a lot of the road imperfections. Take out the flex and it is like you are in a race car with no shocks. I left it in my car for a week before pulling it out.

Liked the idea about the top truss but it looks a little too much and I really do not want to take off a top, put on the top truss just to go topless for a Sunday afternoon, and have another thing to store in the garage.

Have talked to Dave at RD and he is completing the undercarriage cross brace. He built it stronger than what C4 convertibles have and it is fabricated to be able to take off for access when necessary. Already have my order in for one. This should do the trick to make up for that GM error regarding the C4 being a targa or t-top.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom