Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Primary Cooling Fan '95

compyelc4

Corvette
'95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell
This should be an easy one for many of you. I need help. Today I was sitting at a light, windows down, 78 degrees F.. I noticed the temp start to climb. Normally, this machine NEVER gets above 198, even in 90's temperature. Well, she kept climbing...200....205...210........til 225! What the heck!!! I remembered to hit the A/C to get the secondary fan pulled in. That did the trick. 225.....205.....200. The light changed. Off goes the A/C. I hit the interstate and the temp dropped to 193 and stayed there til I pulled into the driveway. Primary fan NOT on. Strange!

I've checked the fuse...Okay. I'm sure thermostat is fine cause she dropped rapidly in temp when I hit the A/C., plus okay running down the I-state with no A/C. Remember, it was kind of a mild overcast day.

I suspect a relay or sensor, or temp switch has failed to the primary cooling fan. My goofey Haynes says nothing! I know this has happed plenty of times before for some of you, cause I've read your posts.

Okay, please point me in the right direction. I think this will be a simple fix.

Thanks, as always, in advance. I know you guys will be "spot on" with this one!

Ted

The fans on your 95 are programmed to
operate on" low" speed at 226'F & "high" speed at 235'F. The fans donot operate independently, but in concert.

Mine does the same as yours & has never gotten over 235'F or so. I don't think you have a problem, but thats only my opinion. You may want to check the front of your radiator. There is an opening on the pass/side you can thru to see the front of the rad.

:s :cool

Thanks Rabbit. I'll take a look-see, but I believe she's clean.

Ted

Not to demean Hayne's or Chilton's or anybody else's manuals, but these are the books to have:
GMServiceManual.jpg
GMServiceManualElSupp.jpg

The Hayne's manual covers too broad a range of model years to be of much help when diagnosing year-specific items.

Here are a few "Troubleshooting Hints" from the Electrical Diagnosis supplement for my '87 Corvette:
  1. Visually check the COOLANT FAN fuse.
  2. If the coolant fan runs with the ignition switch off, replace the COOLANT FAN RELAY.
  3. If the auxilliary coolant fan runs with the ignition switch off, replace the AUXILLIARY FAN RELAY.

There are four pages of tables in the electrical supplement that I scanned for you. They had to be saved in a higher resolution than most people would care to see here in the forum, so here are the links. Browse them at your leisure.
  1. http://corvetteobsession3.homestead.com/files/CACstuff/July/scan0001.jpg
  2. http://corvetteobsession3.homestead.com/files/CACstuff/July/scan0002.jpg
  3. http://corvetteobsession3.homestead.com/files/CACstuff/July/scan0003.jpg
  4. http://corvetteobsession3.homestead.com/files/CACstuff/July/scan0004.jpg

I hope this helps you some.

_ken :w

[size=-3]Talk about dedication! I just realized that I spent an hour on that for you. :L[/size]

my neighbor asked me to do a post for him regarding his fans to he has a 1990 his fan does come on but at around 100 degrees or so and wont shut off (primary one) is this one ecm controlled on his and how can it be cured, or could it be the cylinder head temp sender is faulty

Jeff, I guess it could be faulty, or it could be like my set-up in that the fan came on at 185°F, and wouldn't get cool enough again to shut them off. It won't hurt except to probably cause some premature wear on the fan motor. ;)

_ken :w

Ken,

What a Man! Thanks for your trouble. I'll read those entries you scanned.

Ted

My 1996 goes to 230 all the time in stop and go traffic.

I checked her out again today. I let her idle until she reached abut 224-226. On came the primary fan and the temp dropped below 200. Kinda seemed like the fan was just loafing along though. It the primary fan not designed to run as fast or hard as the secondary fan? Man when I hit the A/C it sounds like a prop plane reving up.

Topless

What are the specs on your buds car???

Red 90 coupe maybe???.. wild guess here?

Vig!

my friends vette seems to be suffering from running TOO cool though the car tends to surge alot and it ran very nice prior to this fan as for mods the car has none at all basically his fan comes on just a minute or so after starting car and wont shut off again till the key is turned off

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom