Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Problem with Half shaft u joints

jwhunter

Corvette
64 BLACK CONVERTIBLE, 05 Coupe, Daytona Orange
I just replaced the u joints on one half shaft on my 64. No the shaft binds up and makes a noise when I drive in (slow). I put the shaft back with the wheels hanging down. Could this be the problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

Although the position of the wheels may have made it more difficult to install the half-shaft (how difficult was it?), I doubt the position of the wheels would make any difference, once the car has been driven at least a bit after the install (to straighten the tires in the vertical plane). Easy to check, put the rear up on ramps and remove/re-install the outboard flange bolts.

Questions: How do you know it's the half-shaft that "binds up and makes a noise"? Were the U-joints moving freely in all directions before you installed the half-shaft in the car? Were you able to tighten/seat the flange bolts at the spindle and U-bolt nuts at the differential?

I'm surmising that you may have had a binding U-joint after you installed the U-joints, or that you lost/dropped a needle bearing in one of the caps during that process; when manipulated by hand, the U-joints should flop around quite freely without any serious stiffness/binding at any point.... if you're not certain they did, remove the half-shaft and check that.

WayneC said:
Although the position of the wheels may have made it more difficult to install the half-shaft (how difficult was it?), I doubt the position of the wheels would make any difference, once the car has been driven at least a bit after the install (to straighten the tires in the vertical plane). Easy to check, put the rear up on ramps and remove/re-install the outboard flange bolts.

Questions: How do you know it's the half-shaft that "binds up and makes a noise"? Were the U-joints moving freely in all directions before you installed the half-shaft in the car? Were you able to tighten/seat the flange bolts at the spindle and U-bolt nuts at the differential?

I'm surmising that you may have had a binding U-joint after you installed the U-joints, or that you lost/dropped a needle bearing in one of the caps during that process; when manipulated by hand, the U-joints should flop around quite freely without any serious stiffness/binding at any point.... if you're not
certain they did, remove the half-shaft and check that.

The u joints were moving freely before I installed them. yes I was able to tighten both flange bolts and and u bolt nuts. I rotated the wheels while changing the u joints could this put the rear end in a bind? I removed the half shaft again an rotated the rear end yoke. this helped some, but there is still some difficulty in rotating the wheels. The u joints did move freely but did not flop around. I had trouble removing one of the yoke u bolts and had to tap it with a screw drive to move it. could that cause a problem. Before I remove the half shaft the wheels moved freely. replacing and replacing the half shaft was not as difficult as I had anticipated. I will put wheels on ramps and remove the flange bolts and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for you suggestions.

Are they binding when you have the wheels off the ground? If so, this is a design issue and it will probably go away if you place all 4 wheels on the ground. If it binds at a normal half-shaft angle something else is going on.
Brian

Dont get mad at me,but have you ever did U-Joints before.how did the U-Loint replacement go.Any problems driving the old ones out and the new ones in. Did the cups line up no problem.If the half shaft is out in you hand does the universal joint move freely ,or do you think a needle bearing might have moved and is binding up.

Yes I have done u-joints before, I could not drive these out so I had a machine shop do it. It does it with a four wheels on the ground. I plan to take it out again and see if the u joints are loose. Thanks

Do you know if they used a reinforcing plate bolted to the outer flange when they pressed the outer U-joint? That flange bends pretty easily without having either another flange or a steel plate bolted to it during the press operation, and if it's bent the least bit, it will bind up the U-joint.
:beer

JohnZ said:
Do you know if they used a reinforcing plate bolted to the outer flange when they pressed the outer U-joint? That flange bends pretty easily without having either another flange or a steel plate bolted to it during the press operation, and if it's bent the least bit, it will bind up the U-joint.

I do not know if they used a reinforcing plate. I will remove and take it back to machine shop and ask them. If they didn't and it is bent what should I do?
Can it be straightened? Thanks for you help.

If it's bent (which will cause binding and stiffness in the axis of the U-joint caps pressed into it), I'd have the shop buy you a new flange (about $60.00); once they're bent, there's no saving them by trying to bend them back dead flat. Any Corvette-knowledgeable shop knows that you have to use a reinforcement plate bolted to that flange before doing any pressing on the U-joint.

JohnZ said:

John Z, you were right on again, thanks. The flange was bent when the machine shop pressed it in. They refunded my $ to install and paid for a new flange and u joint. Again thanks

jwhunter said:
John Z, you were right on again, thanks. The flange was bent when the machine shop pressed it in. They refunded my $ to install and paid for a new flange and u joint. Again thanks

Another Save My The Corvette Jedi Master John Z... :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom