Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Programming steps for new FOB do not work as expected.

HallenTi

Corvette
2006 Victory Red coupe
I bought the car with a single FOB, so the dealer ordered me a second GM FOB and mailed it to me, as I didn't want to drive clear up to the dealer to have it programmed. I had found several discussions on programming a new FOB when you have an operational FOB, so thought I'd just do it myself. I have a 2006 coupe with Z51 option, but not the Z06 which doesn't have the same switch in the rear latching mechanism I'm told.

Following the instructions (they are not in front of me, but as I remember you place the new and original FOBs in certain areas and then use the key in the rear compartment mechanical lock to turn it a specified number of times in an amount of time. At this point, the DIC should indicate that it is in the correct mode to continue.

Then mechanical lock does open the hatch, but the DIC never indicates that the mode has been activated. I have tried each of the slight variations that I have found (all basically the same however), and none seem to work. I also assumed that maybe the DIC may not have indicated that it was in the correct mode and continued, but the FOB never is programmed.

I had wondered if the switch built into the latch could be faulty. I plan to remove the latch and check the switch itself, but wanted to exhaust all the possibilities first, short of taking the car and both FOBs in to the dealer to be programmed for about $100.00.

Anyone have this same type of issue, and if so, were you able to program the new FOB yourself or did you have to resort to the dealer? Thanks in advance, Tim hallenti@gmail.com

Hi Tim,

I thought I had an issue that sometime the car wouldn't recognize the FOB. I tried to reprogram it, with no luck. But it turned out, the FOB needed a new battery. It is a tricky procedure to "learn" a FOB.

The wife lost a FOB to our Denali, but we just let the dealer reprogram both when the new FOB came in. I'm not much help, sorry.

Good luck.

Not sure if this is the cure but the new fob battery may have a plastic cover on the battery to prevent it from making contact with the circuit board until ready for use. You may have to take the car and fob to the dealer but it couldn't hurt to open it and check first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom