Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

progress report on 63SWC restorod

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
We got the body all mounted up and the doors set. We got the doors close, close enough for now. Because the stock radiator support on a 63 comes too close to the front of the SRIII frame, I had to get a different support.

I called Clint up at Coffman Corvette after being advised by Rich L. and SRIII that I needed to get a big block radiator support because the legs on it kick it further forward. I thought I would have to drill new holes or some other modifications to make it work, but it went right in matching up to all holes very nicely. Given that it was a reproduction part, I was nicely suprised!
IMG_7104Small-vi.jpg

Here you can see how far the radiator is kicked forward.
IMG_7102Small-vi.jpg

Because we got the body set on the frame and shimmed, we were able to get after bonding the rear where we cut out pieces.

Here is the rear wheel area we cut out...because I went with some wide tires in the rear and did not want to widen the fenders the only place left to adjust is in the insdie....
IMG_7111Small-vi.jpg

Further down you will see how wide the rear tires are. I wish I could have found wheels I liked that were wider and tires to fit, but this was the best compromise.

We went a bit further than we needed on the inside movement of the wheel wells, but I wanted to get past the rear upper shock mount so that we wouldn't have any rubbing, so I really moved it inside.
IMG_7124Small-vi.jpg

In order to fixture the inside wheel wells to their new location, I used blocks of wood with dry wall screws to fixture the pieces into location.
IMG_7132Small-vi.jpg

I used 3M product 8223 2 component adhesive to join the pieces together. After it dries, we will be able to hit the high spots with a sander and go right over it with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. I am going to use WEST system similar to what is used on boats. This is extremely strong 2 part epoxy system.
IMG_7137Small-vi.jpg

Here are some shots of the car sitting on the ground......when the motor is in place the front end will come down.
IMG_7140Small-vi.jpg

IMG_7159Small-vi.jpg

IMG_7163Small-vi.jpg

IMG_7173Small-vi.jpg

IMG_7170Small-vi.jpg

IMG_7166Small-vi.jpg

Firstgear:

What size wheels and tires. I'm planning a resto rod and want a wide tire also.

Thanks,
jimmy

Firstgear:

What size wheels and tires. I'm planning a resto rod and want a wide tire also.

Thanks,
jimmy
front 9" wheel, 255-45ZR18 tire
rear 10" wheel, 285-40ZR18 tire
Goodyear Supercar Tires

Billet Specialties wheels SLC85's

Herb, the SWC looks great. On my 66, before I added the aluminum knock off wheels, I had larger tires than the 670X15s that came on the stock wheels. I put spacers in the coil springs on the front, and had to cut some of the outer lip on fender so the tires would not rub when turning. I also had to have a new alignment done because of the spacers, so you may run into the same situation with the wider tires. I'm sorry, but I do not remember if the alighment was the spec for the original tires or another setting. Any rate, your work is first rate and I truly appreciate your posts. I dug out some pics of my SWC and wish I had it now. Looking at your pics is like watching an old love come back to life. If I ever get to Ohio again, I plan on stopping in to see the collection. You are blessed with skills that I could only dream of; and I am envious. I wish I was 30 years younger so I could have a similar collection. Two red corvettes are great, but 5 are better.
Barrett

I'm going to have to know more about the epoxy and bonding agents you are using. I need to repair my front valance and it's been a long time since I did any of this. I know that products have come a long way since I last bonded with resin and cloth.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom