Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Project Update 12/4

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...!!!

Man you've come a long way... Congrats... Linda and you should be very proud of what you both have accomplished to date. You have a Beautiful car made even Better..!!!

This is what our hobby is all about. Excellent Work... Well Done..!! :beer

thanks mark

not sure how "sweeeet" it is yet, i'll find out in another week or two if I can get her all back together again and she actually runs.

update:

well, got a fair amount done today.

undid all my work from last night that turned out to be wrong and redid it again this morning and than kept making progress.

so far on the reassembly I've completed today:
installed exhaust manifolds
new spark plugs and spark plug wires
spark plug shielding pieces
the verticle ignition shielding pieces
radiator and fan shroud
alternator bracket ( the one that bolts up to the exhaust manifold)
expansion tank
heater hoses
hose from radiator to expansion tank
lower radiator hose
battery

tomorrows goals are :
1. finish exhaust system by connecting side pipes to exhaust manifolds
2.install intake manifold along with all the little clips and brackets that also mount to the intake hold down bolts such as the remainder of the ignition shielding brackets and coil bracket, temp sender wire clips, throttle linkage return spring bracket, and fuel filter.
3. vent tube
4. oil filler tube
5. distributor
6. water pump and bypass hose
7. finish connecting heater and radiator hoses to intake and water pump
8. valve covers
9. Maybe fill system with coolant and install upper rad hose and t-stat and housing if I still have the time.

If I can get all or most of that done tomorrow than I'll have the majority of the reassembly finished with not much left.

i'm still waiting on my carb to come back from rebuild so I think that is what is going to delay me the most.

Right now the majority of the items I need to install are related in one way or another to the intake manifold so getting that on is key.

Barry, I hate to ask this, but you didn't paint over your timing mark did you?

Tom M

Just in case

Barry,

In case your interested, that metal pan on the underside on the intake manifold is relatively easy to remove, and it's the only place sand, or beads will collect, that you don't normally have access to. It is held in place by four or more little " tap-in " rivets, that have small swirled threads on the rivets.

Take a flat bladed screwdriver, and at an angle of about 90 degrees, a few blows sideways will make them pop out. I will bet you a lavish dinner, that if you remove them now, even after the soaking , and cleaning, you will still find 40 years of crud, along with a fair amount of glass beads. It's an easy clean-up, and after washing everything out, you just tap the rivets back into place.

Just though you might want to cover ALL the bases. Most people either don't know, or take the trouble to remove the little pan ( it's actually a heat shield ) to clean it out completely.

Stepinwolf

When Barry used my glass beader, I advised him to remove the metal pan under the intake. :)

That being said, he "blew it", tanked it in solvent, blew it again, etc. I think it should be OK. Chuck

Step,
those little rivits will pop out and can be reused to put the pan back on??!!
I didn't want to take the pan ouff only because I didn't want the fiasco of trying to find how to get the pan re-rivited back on.

Chuck, yes, I remember you saying I should remove the pan first......... but you didn't tell me those rivits were re-usable. :)

Time I went upstairs and take another look at the intale and the pan.........

Barry,

I think you know how I feel about the pan (heat shield) on the bottom of the intake: I'm with Stepinwolf; take the thing off and BE SURE that there aren't any glass beads under there.

If you can find the rivets (auto parts store ? Sears hardware ?) you can bring up to where I work at 5:00 o'clock, we'll knock the rivets off, steam clean and blow it out with high pressure air, and put it back on with new rivets.
Probably a half hour job and a lot of piece of mind

Bernie O.

Hey Chuck,

I also use to " blow " them out in the past, however there is such a little amount of work involved in it's removal, you sometimes wonder why someone would not want to put all the chances on their side.

After the enormous amount of time, money, and energy spent in freshening up the engine, the cleaning out of this last area should be a no brainier. I only wish the manifold was in my own shop, because after the pan removal, there would be a lot of people surprised to see how much crap can still be lodged under there, even after all the soaking and blowing.

But then, what do I know about anything anyway. ;)

Stepinwolf

hey, I LOVE additional information!!! :)
thanks Step.

Bernie, will do. I just popped one off as an experiment and it looks like if I'm very careful I'll be able to get the others off also, hopefully without damaging any of the rivits so I can reuse them.
If I damage them at all I guess I'll be looking for rivits today somewhere....

I sent you an email last night about the manifold that you get at your work today. disregard it and I'll send you another letting you know how I make out on this step.

Barry. They're "twist shank" rivets, NOT peened over rivets. If you work on them, they "SHOULD" come out relatively easily. Sounds like you have one out already. Chuck

ok
all I can say is that tranny shop must have some pretty good solvent in their tank................
the inside of that pan is as sparkly clean as the outside!
I'll wash it out anyway with brake cleaner and shoot some more thru the runners again, but I feel fairly confident that this manifold is ready to go back on the car.

Step, thanks for info regarding the rivits being re-usable though. It was nice to be able to check out under there anyway so I KNOW it was clean and not have any possible risks.

Barry,

Better safe then sorry. This is only the second time in my life, I have heard of someone removing the pan, only to find it had been properly cleaned out inside.

I have seen cases where we had to take a hammer and chisel to clean out the encrusted crud that some of these had accumulated during 40 years of use.

Sorry I raised a storm over nothing. :ugh

Stepinwolf

Step

no need to apologize. As you say, it's better safe than sorry!
I really just hadn't known the type of rivits used were re-usable therefore making the pan removal and reinstall such an easy matter. I was afraid I was going to get into something much more complex and involved bt removing it if I had to find a way to get the pan re-rivited in.

"storms" like this that only take 10 minutes of time i'll accept anytime.
Big storm or little storm I always appreciate your input and advice. :beer

Junk
don't you know by now that when it comes to ME, always expect the unexpected!
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

if it's easy, I'll make it hard. If it's hard I'll make it easy.
if it's suppose to be dirty and cruddy than for me it will be clean and vice versa. :D

if a paint job is suppose to take 3 months................ never mind, we won't go THERE!

One last comment

Barry,

I don't want to give you a heart attack, but the following instructions might turn out to be very important.

When left alone, these little rivets are firmly in place and will never come out by themselves. However once removed, precautions must be taken when they are re-installed so that do not fall out, and drop into the engine.

During the removal process, the sideways hammer blows tend to slightly enlarge the holes in the aluminium manifold. Then when the time comes to put them back, they might be slightly loser in the hole then they were originally. In order to firm them up safely, here is what has always worked for me in the past.

Before trying to pound them back into place, use the round top section of your hammer, and gentle give the manifold about half a dozen taps, as close to each rivet holes as you can. This when done properly will tend to slightly close the diameter of the hole, making the rivet a much tighter fit, and will keep it firmly seated, once it's back in it's place. :D

Just though I'd mention it

Stepinwolf

gee Step, you are about 15 minutes too late on those instuctions......

no biggie though. When I popped them out I managed to get under the lip on them and gently twisted the screwdriver so they pulled pretty much straight up and out rather than knocking them sideways.

When I put them back in they were a tight fit still so i tapped them into place with a ball been hammer. I checked them after reinstalling (and now again since you love to give me little panic attacks!) and they are in there tight.

It's not me !

Barry, I'm not the one who's too late, it's just that I was not aware that you were carrying around the computer with you, while you worked on your car.;LOL

Stepinwolf

;LOL Step

the desk in my office where I sit is only 5 steps to the garage door.

Besides, I was working on the manifold here in my office. It's a LOT warmer than out in my garage :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom