Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pros & Cons of 78 - 82

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
Okay everyone, I'm really not trying to stir up a hornets nest here but here goes. Looking at that 82 last night has peaked my interest in making my future project car a fast-back shark instead of a fin-backed coupe. Since 81 and 82 each had unique motors and a few other differences I'm just curious what you guys think are the strong and weak points of each year in the range and what improvements each year included, styling aside.

I think Kelly now realizes she really wants a C-4 but she isn't against me getting a project car.

79er

Re:

Will if your going for a daily driver and don't plan on hoping it up I'd go with the 82. Simple do to it does not have a carb, which for a easy daily driver is a good thing. On the other hand if you want to hop it up to go faster go with a 79,80,81. With these cars having a Carb it's easy to find hop up parts for them.

mxdout165

Corvette
Not Any More :( - '92 Typhoon #2482
well....

If you are going to make a hopped up project car, I would suggest an '81 over an '82 simply because the only transmission offered on an '82 is an Auto. Any self-respecting street machine has a 4-speed right? :D :J

Also, from what I've heard from others, it's easier to deal with the carb on the '81 as opposed to the cross-fire system on the '82. The Rochester is really a good carb, if you get it tuned right. (which I have yet to do). All things in time.

Hope this helps.

T Jay

ps..I have an '81 auto and love it to death

V

vettasy

I bought and like the 80 the best . I like the front and rear end spoilers . But most of all its a basic 350 motor its got a carb and it does not have a computer chip as I beleive started with the 81's. So its real easy to modify. And oh yeah its 4 on the floor , the only way to travel.

J

Joeverb

well the crossfire is off my wifes 82 and the exhaust system is getting a makeover next month. Yep its an auto and yes i love manual trannys BUT the gearing is nice in the 700r4 and it sure is sweet to knock it up in overdrive on the I-state and get realistic mileage while cruising 80 or so :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom