Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pros & Cons of 78 - 82

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
Okay everyone, I'm really not trying to stir up a hornets nest here but here goes. Looking at that 82 last night has peaked my interest in making my future project car a fast-back shark instead of a fin-backed coupe. Since 81 and 82 each had unique motors and a few other differences I'm just curious what you guys think are the strong and weak points of each year in the range and what improvements each year included, styling aside.

I think Kelly now realizes she really wants a C-4 but she isn't against me getting a project car.

Re:

Will if your going for a daily driver and don't plan on hoping it up I'd go with the 82. Simple do to it does not have a carb, which for a easy daily driver is a good thing. On the other hand if you want to hop it up to go faster go with a 79,80,81. With these cars having a Carb it's easy to find hop up parts for them.

well....

If you are going to make a hopped up project car, I would suggest an '81 over an '82 simply because the only transmission offered on an '82 is an Auto. Any self-respecting street machine has a 4-speed right? :D :J

Also, from what I've heard from others, it's easier to deal with the carb on the '81 as opposed to the cross-fire system on the '82. The Rochester is really a good carb, if you get it tuned right. (which I have yet to do). All things in time.

Hope this helps.

T Jay

ps..I have an '81 auto and love it to death

I bought and like the 80 the best . I like the front and rear end spoilers . But most of all its a basic 350 motor its got a carb and it does not have a computer chip as I beleive started with the 81's. So its real easy to modify. And oh yeah its 4 on the floor , the only way to travel.

well the crossfire is off my wifes 82 and the exhaust system is getting a makeover next month. Yep its an auto and yes i love manual trannys BUT the gearing is nice in the 700r4 and it sure is sweet to knock it up in overdrive on the I-state and get realistic mileage while cruising 80 or so :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom