Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pullin' the rear on the 81

D

Dave L.

does anyone know if it is possible to remove the front half of the axle housing,the piece with the carrier in it, without removing the back half from the body?i think i might still have to remove the spring.i have the gymkhana suspension with the large heavy spring.i don't know if there is enough clearance to do this.has anyone tried it this way or am i dreamin'.the GM service manual says to drop the whole thing.any help would be appreciated.

Burgular,
You're dreaming. Drop the whole thing. It's a lot easier than you think.
Mike

I did a total rear suspension rebuild about a year ago, drop the whole assembly and save yourself days of swearing. Just don't be an idiot like me and try to replace the upper arm bushings, the rubber ones have metal inserts(outer) that are pressed into the holes of the support arm, it took days to get them out with an air chisel and sledge hammer......that was the worst thing I've ever done! Unless your bushings are completely shot don't mess with them, or pay someone to press them out, trust me it's no fun.

Drop the whole thing

It's not a big deal ( UNLESS) you do not have enough stuff.. jack stands & floor jacks..If that's the case, Buy em. 81 is a Odd( read different) setup. You will SHOOT yourself if you break anything trying it any other way.

Mike

pullin' my rear

thanks for the replies fellas.i am going to follow your advice and drop the whole thing.i have had almost all that stuff pulled off last year when i recond the spring and put new strut rods and bushings on.i guess i was just hoping for an easy out.thanks again i will let you know how it turns out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom