Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Put It Away for the Winter??

Pinky

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Convertible
Now that I've concluded my study on The Wave (heh) I'm starting a new one:

How many of you, particularly those in the harsher climates, drive your Vette year-round? If not, why not? I've only owned mine for this summer and I'm wondering if I'm going to eventually be riding the bus to work. :mad

Ah, Pinky, you have put your finger on the nub of an argument almost as old as the CAC itself: the Corvette in Winter.

While I'm quite sure this thread will generate some definate opinions <AHEM... REMO>, let me just offer a word of caution <AHEM... REMO>. I will be watching this thread closely. <AHEM... REMO>
;squint:

And with that disclaimer out of the way... :D

Pinky, since you live in Reno, the first question I have for you is how harsh are your winters? Here in the Denver area, while we do get snows, at least on the front range, they don't stick around on the ground for very long. My experience is that on a snowy morning, the C5 is not a practical choice for commuting to work- it simply produces too much torque at the rear wheels, and doesn't have enough weight to give you good traction on snow or ice.

But to put it away for the entire winter? No, not here in Denver. The climate is still mild enough that there are some very nice days in winter to drive it, if you can put up with the gravel they put down on the roads and don't sweep up on a regular basis.

:w
-Patrick

Pinky, since you live in Reno, the first question I have for you is how harsh are your winters?
:w
-Patrick

Sierra winters are entirely unpredictable. It could be sunny (but cold) in the morning and 2 ft. of snow on the ground in the evening. Or it could just be cold and sunny for weeks on end.

I guess it's a good thing we have 3 other vehicles, all 4-wheel drive. :ugh <---me, not wanting to drive a truck

405 hp, six speeds, three season tires, 100 plus inches of ohio snow
and more salt on the roads then in mcdonalds fries.
my z06 will be in the garage all winter ,sad to say

I stop driving my 99 when it gets too cold to wash it after a long trip.

When the salt hits the road and its the season for all the *******s to start playing in the snow with their SUVs, the Vett stays home warm and safe covered in the garage.

My 07 Camry is much better suited driving in ice, snow and salt.

I drove my vette the first winter I had it, but after getting about 8 to 10 inches of snow, and trying to drive my vette snow plow home, I knew that before the next winter I need something else to drive when it's cold and snowy.

Tom

At least they don't use salt on the roads around here!

Of course they don't plow them either...at least nothing beyond the highways and the downtown (coughTOURISTcough) area.

Sigh. Guess I'll go out and put the top down NOW.

In the Chicago area there is just too much salt, wet, snow and cold to enjoy safely driving the Vette. It goes into storage in late December and comes out in Late March/April. It's covered all winter long with a battery tender hooked up full time which has worked out well. It's always a treat to take the cover off in the Spring and see that beautiful Red Vette sitting there ready and willing to go for a run!!

I'm with Warren. The worst thing was the prospect of washing it in the dead of winter... brrrr. Salt isn't a factor down here, but of course, that would be a big problem too.

I'm with Warren. The worst thing was the prospect of washing it in the dead of winter... brrrr. Salt isn't a factor down here, but of course, that would be a big problem too.

What she said.... It stays in the garage during the winter rains mostly because it violates the Corvette Code to drive it dirty :nono and the carpet stains easily. Ah, but when the sun comes out it's on the road.

About the firsts of Nov the car and I head for Orlando where it spends the winter in a nice self-storage near the airport.I fly down once and month and enjoy the warm dry roads. April school vacation the car returns to the northeast.

Alas, I'm one of those who really must put the Vette away for the Boston winters! We have way too much snow, ice, icy rain, sleet, salt on the roads and terrible drivers:L ...it's much wiser, safer and economical to keep it covered, on a battery tender in our own garage. Then we sit back and wait for the Spring to arrive and hope it comes early in the season!;)

Elaine

Brrrrr. I certainly remember last winter. Temps in the low 60s with a wind chill factor of 52... brrrr. Even had to wear a nylon windbreaker one day...course the top was down. Almost got a case of frostbite sitting on the patio of my favorite restaurant sipping hot coffee...bet it was 55 that day. Hate the weather in Palm Springs when mother nature takes her revenge.
Ha ha...we haven't seen rain or snow since Ronald Regan came through with the Borax train in the winter of 1955.

Brrrrr. I certainly remember last winter. Temps in the low 60s with a wind chill factor of 52... brrrr. Even had to wear a nylon windbreaker one day...course the top was down. Almost got a case of frostbite sitting on the patio of my favorite restaurant sipping hot coffee...bet it was 55 that day. Hate the weather in Palm Springs when mother nature takes her revenge.
Ha ha...we haven't seen rain or snow since Ronald Regan came through with the Borax train in the winter of 1955.
Um, hello...did I accidentally stumble into a Liar's Club meeting? Why just a year and a half ago I was driving through Redlands in the rain! Just not in a Vette.

:bar

Works for me............:D

Mine does see less driving time in the winter but I still drive it when the roads are clear. I don't mind washing it down and getting any salt that may get on it off.

:beer

Nope, after a year over here in Iraq, I don't care if there's 3 feet of the fluffy stuff, I guess I will just be stuck in it, however at least I will be stuck in a 2003 Z06 and not a 150 degree Hummvee. I will just sit there and rev the engine or something. But seriously just Like Patrick said on the front range of the Rockies the winters are comparatively mild. I grew up in Michigan and I truly couldn't see driving it all winter there. My .02
Steve

This will be the first winter with my C5, and it will be put away. I have no desire to subject my Corvette to the crazy amount of salt that Ohio drops on the road. I have washed my Saturn coupe in 33 degree temps before, as long as it doesn't freeze when it leaves the hose, I don't care. All of my neighbors think I'm insane.

I wish I had a garage like ToolGuy. My parents just bought a C4, so I most likely lost my winter storage spot. So, either I sell a car (not gonna happen), or I leave one outside (really don't want it to happen), or I find a new hiding place. My next door neighbor has an empty garage, maybe I'll offer to use it. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom