Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Put on your rubbers

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
Took my daughter out for a ride yesterday. :cool!: As usual she asks "Dad can I take off my flip flops". As I was about to reply, she yelps "eww the carpet is wet". My reaction was she must have spilt her water without telling me she did. 11 year olds can get a little funny. So I pulled over and felt the carpet. To my amazement the carpet was saturated . When we get home I franticly started freaking out. So I calmed myself down and got the wet/dry vac out and started to suck all the water out. But it was under the seat and all the way to the back. :mad I removed the passenger seat then the carpet right down to the floor board:mad. So I had my wife sit in the car while i doused the car with water. For five to ten minutes NOTHING:mad. I went around to the driver side and started spraying it from left to right. Sure enough water started pouring in.
It is coming in from the windshield weather stripping, the plastic piece that is under the wipers that run from side to side. I have a call in to a glass guy that does all my glass work. If he can't do it it will be at the glass shop. Has anybody had this or know any solution? It must have been leaking for a long time. I only have this car for 17 months. I always kept it covered until the cover was marking the paint. Thanks for reading this. Any help would be appreciated.
Paul:w

Are you positive that it's coming from there? A common issue is that the "udders" in the cowl area tend to clog up and the water backs up and will fill the footwell. I'll see if I can find the thread that describes the problem.

After reading about that, I went out and checked mine and the passenger side was nearly plugged off.

Hey Tom
Thank you so much:thumb. I just went out to the car and found the first two udders. I will tackle the one behind the battery tomorrow. I saw the link and it helped out tremendously. Also I will clean out all drains and udders. Funny thing I had no Idea that these ever existed. Learn something new everyday! Will keep you posted.
Thanks again.
paul:w:w

:w Paul,

I have a good friend that experienced the same thing with the carpet on the passenger side getting soaked... His problem ended up being the air box drain. There is an L shaped fitting that goes into the firewall to allow the water to drain off as the air conditioner is working, if it plugs it allow water to "FLOOD" the driver side down the firewall to the carpets...

The first dealer broke the L fitting when trying to get it out, ended up costing a very pretty penny to have the dash removed and the new L installed. Contact gmjunkie here at the CAC he probably can guide you to getting it out without breaking it, cleaning it and putting it back in, otherwise find a CHEVY dealer or Corvette Shop that KNOWS about this issue...

Good Luck

Unneeded info:
My buddy and his wife were on a trip from North Platte, Ne to Washington State down the Coast to San Francisco then down the Central Valley then over to Las Vegas, than Sun City, Amarillo, Longmont and back to North Platte... Their air conditioner started the water leak back into the passengers side just outside of Salt Lake... He had a dealer in Washington check it and they are the ones that broke it off, and had no idea how to replace it... he waited until he got home and his CHEVY dealer replace/repair the leak... big $$$$.$$ and the worst part was it was after the Vettes In The Rockie in June or July last year... he lasted longer than me without air on THAT Trip... :Steer

I know too much information :D

Bud

I really hope that the problem is solved. It made more sense to me than the windshield leaking.

I really hope that the problem is solved. It made more sense to me than the windshield leaking.

Hey Tom
Thanks for the link and your help!:thumb I found all three on drivers side. All four are clean! The last one was really clogged. Did the water test with the hose. No water inside. Will do it one more time to be absolutely sure. Then put all back together. This could be the problem I am having with the radio.
Anyway. Thanks again.
Paul:w

No problem Paul. I'm no expert on these cars, but I read quite a bit and rat hole that information for cases like this. I do hope that this solves the problem for good.:w

Ok found the two on drivers side.

Paul

There are THREE on the driver's side. You have to reach back a little further to get to the third one and it is usually the most clogged. Here's some pictures from the top of the car looking down (and of the udders), with the wiper motor removed. The udders are directly below the wiper motor.

wiper_motor13.jpg

wiper_motor13a.jpg

wiper_motor13b.jpg

Now that AC drain one that you can't find is next to impossible to locate unless someone has shown it to you. Here is a picture from when I replaced my head gaskets. The starter and the exhaust has been removed and this view is from under the car, looking up. All you have to do is locate the same spot on the firewall from the top side of the car. This hose seldom gets plugged up as the only purpose that is serves is to drain condensation of the HAVC. If you find water under the car after using your AC for awhile, then this hose is working fine.

hvac_drain_hose.jpg

There are THREE on the driver's side. You have to reach back a little further to get to the third one and it is usually the most clogged. Here's some pictures from the top of the car looking down (and of the udders), with the wiper motor removed. The udders are directly below the wiper motor.

wiper_motor13.jpg

wiper_motor13a.jpg

wiper_motor13b.jpg

Now that AC drain one that you can't find is next to impossible to locate unless someone has shown it to you. Here is a picture from when I replaced my head gaskets. The starter and the exhaust has been removed and this view is from under the car, looking up. All you have to do is locate the same spot on the firewall from the top side of the car. This hose seldom gets plugged up as the only purpose that is serves is to drain condensation of the HAVC. If you find water under the car after using your AC for awhile, then this hose is working fine.

hvac_drain_hose.jpg

Thanks. You guys have been most helpful with this task!:thumb I found all four drains and cleaned them all. Did water test a thousand times NO WATER:thumb.
Just need to get at the a/c drain. Keep you posted. Thanks again.

Read what I said about the AC drain. If you use your AC for awhile and it drains water to the floor after you have parked the car for awhile, don't mess with it. That means that it is working as it should. If you remove that thing from the firewall, you will find that it is a PITA to plug back in and you may actually cause a leak. It seldom gets plugged up so test it as I have described. Once you finally see where it is and how hard it is to get your hand on it, that should be your red flag to leave it alone.

Read what I said about the AC drain. If you use your AC for awhile and it drains water to the floor after you have parked the car for awhile, don't mess with it. That means that it is working as it should. If you remove that thing from the firewall, you will find that it is a PITA to plug back in and you may actually cause a leak. It seldom gets plugged up so test it as I have described. Once you finally see where it is and how hard it is to get your hand on it, that should be your red flag to leave it alone.

Ok. Will do! Thanks.;)
paul:w

Are there udders on rear of my 2000 coupe, after washing ,open rear hatch, alot of H20 in channels toward driver& passenger seats ????? thaNKS :happyanim: :w :pat life is short enjoy the ride better than XANAX

There are no udders on the rear of the car, just the front. If you raise your hatch slowly after washing, you'll see how the water runs along the weather stripping and is directed into the channels that dumps it off the car. You are obviously raising your hatch too fast for the amount of water remaining on the hatch. Raise it slowly and watch where the water goes and how the weather stripping channels it there.

Thanks to these threads I averted a potential mess. My wife noticed a funny sound when we were making a fairly hard left turn. She says can't you hear it? No I couldn't due to many years of loud rock and roll and straight Harley pipes. We did another turn and she heard it again. I said whats it sound like....she says...a gurgaling sound! Got back and ripped the floormat out and the carpet was just a little damp. Did all the udders and they were clean so that only left one thing. I let the car run with the AC on and saw no wet spots under the car. So I took the car down to the shop where I get stuff done and put it up on the rack and after it cooled a bit reached up in there and found the drain hose and just squeezed it and whoosh here came the flood. Seemed like lots of water running out. We did not take the tube off feeling that the flood of water cleaned out the hose. Now I am getting a nice big wet spot on the ground when the car sits and runs with the AC on.......Thanks Tom and all for the heads up.

I used a shop vac to get the moisture out of the carpet and then set a fan on it for several hours and its good as new. The padding underneith the carpet never got wet but it was fixing to along with a lot of other high dollar stuff. The quick check is if the car is leaving a puddle of water you are ok.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom