Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

PVC Oil Catch Can Install, with Pics, Dial Up No Way

Willfulone

Corvette
2004 CE Coupe
Custom Corvette Accessories
PVC Oil Catch Can Install​

I finally got enough time to get the PVC oil catch can install done and documented for the web site. It is a very easy job and can be done with common hand tools.

Start by removing the passenger side Fuel Rail Cover and locating the crank case valley pan hose. It is shaped like a U

CatchCanStart.jpg

Remove it and set it aside

CatchCanHosesOff.jpg

I decided to go with braided lines instead of the black rubber line that comes with the Catch Cans. If you are going to make the switch, make sure you get fuel line. I got it at a local Auto store. First I got 5/16". After about 20 minutes of messing with it, I went back and got 3/8" and that worked much better. The 5/16" will fit, but you have to wrestle with it. I got 3 feet. I measured the line the way I wanted it to run and then taped off the section with electrical tape and cut it with a hack saw. Cutting the braided line on the tape kept the braid from getting frayed. I also got some new hose clamps while I was at it.

I then mounted the crank case valley hose and the return hose.

CatchCanHosesOn.jpg

Then I mounted the CCA Catch Can on the passenger side head. (Note the catch cans do not come with the mounting bolt, which prompted another trip to the store for a 10mm-1.5 x 20mm bolt :willy: ) Needless to say we will be getting these to include with the next shipment of kits.

CatchCanMountLoc.jpg

I then attached the return hose to the bottom nipple on the catch can.

CatchCanHose1.jpg

Then I attached the crank case valley hose to the top nipple on the catch can

CatchCanHose2.jpg

From this point we are pretty much done. I started up the car and checked for leaks, and then buttoned everything back up.

CatchCanFinish.jpg

I should have this up on the installation portion of the web site within the hour for future reference.

Peace
Chip

The braided fuel line is a real nice inexpensive high performance touch.... I would never have thought of that! Looks great. :beer

The can is made of PVC? Isn't it risky to collect hot oil in a plastic container? :W

Fat fingers don't type so good... PCV :L

The can is actually Billet Aluminum

Peace
Chip

I was wondering if this is really a "worth while mod". I found the catch can's on ebay with all the hoses, etc. for like 10 bucks. Have you checked your can to see if oil really gets to it? Just curious. Also, is it possible to have it reroute the oil straight back into the motor instead of having to drain the catch can every oil change internval?

is it possible to have it reroute the oil straight back into the motor instead of having to drain the catch can every oil change internval?
The oil caught by a catch can is dirty, nasty blow-by. Believe me, you don't want that crud going back into your crankcase. :ugh

Excellent post, but I'm curious about how this could be useful for someone who only uses their car for regular cruising, but not for racing or other intense applications. From what ive read, im compelled to believe that these catch cans are only used in these cases. Id like to add one if it safeguards against future problems, but if the need isnt present, i suppose the investment isnt worth it?

Also, thats an intruiguing color scheme you have on your rail covers/caps, i assume you painted them yourself? If so, it looks pretty good, i might look into a similar project myself :)

Excellent post, but I'm curious about how this could be useful for someone who only uses their car for regular cruising, but not for racing or other intense applications. From what ive read, im compelled to believe that these catch cans are only used in these cases. Id like to add one if it safeguards against future problems, but if the need isnt present, i suppose the investment isnt worth it?

Also, thats an intruiguing color scheme you have on your rail covers/caps, i assume you painted them yourself? If so, it looks pretty good, i might look into a similar project myself :)

Thanks for the props, I did do it myself, first try at it. If I was going to do it again, I would spend way more time with the wet sanding...

To answer you question on catch cans, I'll say it depends.

When I just drive around town, WOT blast or two here and there, I catch about 1 to 2 oz every 3 months.

When I take it to the track, I can catch 2 to 3 oz a day...

If you really want to know, take off the MAF and TB and stick your hand in the manifold, if it comes back with oil residue on it, you should consider one...

Peace
Chip

I was wondering if this is really a "worth while mod". I found the catch can's on ebay with all the hoses, etc. for like 10 bucks. Have you checked your can to see if oil really gets to it? Just curious. Also, is it possible to have it reroute the oil straight back into the motor instead of having to drain the catch can every oil change internval?

Be careful, you get what you pay for. Most cans on Ebay are single chamber, with no filter. They are just cans with a hose in and a hose out.

These cans are 2 chamber cans, with a filter, and separation chamber to retain the oil... big difference...

You would not want that oil back in the motor, it comes out very gritty...although I see guys at the track do it all the time...

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me.

Peace
Chip

I have a catch can installed on my Z. I discovered the oiling problem during my head swap and was shocked at the sludge that coated the ports, valves, combustion chambers and top of the pistons. I found that oil is drawn up through the valley tube at idle when vacuum is at its highest on the PCV valve. Just to let you guys know, it isn't only oil getting in. Moisture from the crankcase also mixes with the oil before the engine reaches operating temperature as it is condensing. This also finds it way in through the PCV valve into the intake and causes this mess. After installing the catch can, a couple of treatments of Sea Foam will get rid of the sludge that exists and is definitely recommended. I empty my catch can when the sight glass shows that the can is 1/3 full. I have been emptying the can about every 2 weeks or so.

I have a catch can installed on my Z. I discovered the oiling problem during my head swap and was shocked at the sludge that coated the ports, valves, combustion chambers and top of the pistons. I found that oil is drawn up through the valley tube at idle when vacuum is at its highest on the PCV valve. Just to let you guys know, it isn't only oil getting in. Moisture from the crankcase also mixes with the oil before the engine reaches operating temperature as it is condensing. This also finds it way in through the PCV valve into the intake and causes this mess. After installing the catch can, a couple of treatments of Sea Foam will get rid of the sludge that exists and is definitely recommended. I empty my catch can when the sight glass shows that the can is 1/3 full. I have been emptying the can about every 2 weeks or so.

$$$ aside....why don't you think Gm put one on at factory?

$$$ aside....why don't you think Gm put one on at factory?
Good question. I really don't know other than they thought the PCV system worked better than it actually did. I took my car down to the local Chevrolet dealer and showed the maintenence manager and the technicians the catch can set up. They were sitting there wide eyed at the fact that someone solved the problem to alot of their Vette customer's complaints regarding oil in the intake. They told me that they were just replacing the intake manifolds. This doesn't solve the problem and only treats the symptom I told them. I spent alot of time online chasing this problem down and found that alot of other car manufacturers have oil in the intake problems too. It seems to me that this is a 97'-03' Gen III motor issue. I think with the 04', they revised the PCV system again. This is something you could tell us what the differeces are and if they did eliminate the PCV valve. Does the problem still exist with the 04's?

Good question. I really don't know other than they thought the PCV system worked better than it actually did. I took my car down to the local Chevrolet dealer and showed the maintenence manager and the technicians the catch can set up. They were sitting there wide eyed at the fact that someone solved the problem to alot of their Vette customer's complaints regarding oil in the intake. They told me that they were just replacing the intake manifolds. This doesn't solve the problem and only treats the symptom I told them. I spent alot of time online chasing this problem down and found that alot of other car manufacturers have oil in the intake problems too. It seems to me that this is a 97'-03' Gen III motor issue. I think with the 04', they revised the PCV system again. This is something you could tell us what the differeces are and if they did eliminate the PCV valve. Does the problem still exist with the 04's?

So are you saying that my 04 would not benefit from one?

I believe there was a change yet again to the PCV system design in 04'. I also heard the 04' does not use a PCV valve, but I would need to verify that. I wouldn't jump the gun and say you don't need one yet. Let me see if I can get a look at one today for you, and I'll post my findings.

I got 2 oz out of my 04 CE at the track the other day.

I get about 1 oz every 3 months under "normal" driving. The only place that oil vapor goes is directly back into your manifold.

It's pretty easy to tell. Just take off your TB, stick your hand into the manifold, if it comes back with oil on it, then you have your answer.

They all can benifit. IMHO

If you have any questions, please feel free to call

Peace
Chip

I got 2 oz out of my 04 CE at the track the other day.

I get about 1 oz every 3 months under "normal" driving. The only place that oil vapor goes is directly back into your manifold.

It's pretty easy to tell. Just take off your TB, stick your hand into the manifold, if it comes back with oil on it, then you have your answer.

They all can benifit. IMHO

If you have any questions, please feel free to call

Peace
Chip
Thanks Chip. That says it right there.

Thanks for the pictorial! That's a nice looking catch can and they do work! I've got a different brand, that was quite a bit more than Chip's is (his wasn't out when I bought mine) and one of these is a good investment in the longevity of your motor!

I do have a question though Chip. The line that you took off of the throttle body, where does it go to? I'm just curious because it's different than mine because I've got a blower on my car.

There are about a hundered different ways to hook up a catch can.

Many of our customers with FI cars run two cans. One for the PCV and one for the head.

With an FI car you would have to take the return line and run it in front of the blower. You would not want to run it in after the blower because of the pressure...The pCV system is a low pressure closed loop...

You can just make a fitting and run it into the intake...

Peace
Chip

Thats great info!

Thanks for the heads up.

JB

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom