Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pwr Steering Pump Hard to Reach

emf1367

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Coupe
I a 1975 Convertible which appears original. I'm haing a problem with the power steering pump. The problem is in trying to check the fluid level. The pump sits under the alternator so the cap/dipstick for the power steering pump wont come on of the pump unless I remove the belt and pivot the pump towards the driver fender, away from under the alternantor. Is any one else experiencing this condition?

Please help me, this is a tough one for me to figure out.

powersteer,pump position

Hi emf1367, yes the pump is very close to alternator, on mine it is approx i inch
from the alternator bracket, but at a angle, and it is still ok to take the cap of, by going under the alternator belt,you are probably trying from the inside the belt that is more difficult, turning it of and checking level, and placing back still from under the hood, and i check mine cold, thats the level mark at near bottom of the gauge still know problem, regards wayne.

It is a very tight fit, but you can do it.
From the engine side of the belt: I unscrew the cap, tilt it towards the driver's side, and pull it out directly under the alternator bracket.

Do it enough times and you will be able to do it fast enough that the fluid hasn't dripped off the dipstick and you'll get an accurate reading.

Good luck!

Most often, previous owners have put on drive belts of the wrong length. This positions the pump or the alternator incorrectly and makes it difficult or impossible to remove the cap.

Most often, previous owners have put on drive belts of the wrong length. This positions the pump or the alternator incorrectly and makes it difficult or impossible to remove the cap.
That is exactly what I was thinking...;)

Thanks to each of you. I put the belt on and it and it has the factory part number on it. Though that doesnt mean that it's the correct size. It could be that it is the wrong size but was sold with the factory part number on it so I would pay more for it, which I did. I'll check it and let you know.

Thanks again!

On my 77 its not the alternator that gets in the way but the lower alternator supporting bracket that is bolted to the block. When I remove the power steering pump filler cap to check fluid level the filler cap never pulls straight out of the reservoir but up and out at an angle because of the block alternator bracket clearance (about 1”).
When installing a new power steering belt the power steering pump has to be moved all the way in its bolted position to the center of the car. The new belt then will just slip on the pulley. I never use a pry bar between the block and the power steering reservoir to tighten the new belt, doing so may cave in the side of the power steering pump reservoir. The stud that is spot welded in the power steering reservoir to lock the pump down is just that, a welded stud so don’t over tighten it. If the belt is the correct length the power steering pump should sit vertical after the belt has been adjusted correctly.
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom