Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Q-jet pronounced dead...Stingray 6974 brings it new life !!

BLACKDOG

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
Black 1980 LG4 / Crystal Red '08
Last year at about this time, Rare81 and I were scrambling to get our Sharks ready for the RENDEZVOUS @ BG and had them in a shop for some fine tuning. My '80 had been running fine, but, I thought a tune wouldn't hurt...so in it went. 45 minutes away from the shop...this 305 was screaming !!! Well, it didn't last long, and with days to go before we were to start out for BG, it was back in the shop. A few hours later the shop pronounced the Q-jet officially dead and sucked $739 outa me for a remanufactured Holley spreadbore.:hb Never could get it to idle, but it got me to BG and back, but not much farther. Couldn't see how a carb could just be considered garbage when it had been running....so, Rare81 hooked me up with Stingray6974 down in Texas, and Mike said to ship it on down and he'd check it out and if it was rebuildable, he'd do his thing and ship it back.
So, today I got the BLACKDOG out of the shop, with a new Edelbrock and the Q-jet on top...this thing sings now !!!!
A big thanks to you Mike. You make this site a better place by offering no-brainers like me a hand. You are the best !!! :beer

Hi Jeff,
Glad to hear Blackdog is on the road again. It's always a pleasure to help out a fellow vetter!:beer

Mike

I had a request to bring this up to the C3 Forum ;) Glad to do so.
BudD
:w

$739 for a rebuilt Holley???

By the way, I got one of those new Edelbrock QJets from Summit Racing. Just set the idle and go!

Mike will be handling my differential rebuild in a week or two. His price is right on and it's good to know that a fellow CAC member will be doing the work right. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Russ

page62 - yeah, I know...$739 for a remanufactured Holley ??? :hb :hb The reason given for that extortionistic price was that it was the first computerized carb on a vette (1980 California Smog 305) and it was hard to find one. Since Rare81 and I were less than a week from departing to BG for the Rendezvous , didn't have time to start looking elsewhere, so took it in the shorts and ran. The one that eventually ended up on the car was the 3rd one the shop got in, as the first 2 didn't even work. Couldn't have been that rare, eh ?
...and even that one never settled into a smooth idle. It would move from 400-1200rpms and alot of the time just die if you weren't feathering the pedal all the time at a stop.:bash
It lasted all of about 6000 miles until it took a dump. Decided to then try having the original Q-jet rebuilt. Two local shops gave me estimates of $350-$450, even with the carb off the car !! That's when Rare81 hooked me up with Stingray6974 ...Mike gave me an exceptional deal, I mean real exceptional.

77-4speed ... No doubt in my mind that you're going to be more than pleased with Mike. :BOW It's not often you find someone that does what they say, keep you informed, and give you a helluva deal to boot. It's almost enough to make me want to move to the great state of Texas . YEEE-HAWW !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom