Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

quadrajet, vacume or mechanical

madvette74

I am curious to know, if a mechanical secondaries will make more performance than a vacume secondary quadrajet? this would be for an automatic car.

The mechanical secondary carb. will feel snappier. If both carbs. are tuned correctly there should be little to no performance gain to the mechanical carb. It is harder to get the tuning correct on a mechanical carb. As long as both are tuned properly the vacuum secendary carb. will give you better gas mileage.

I have 3 vacuum secondary carbs. in the garage on a shelf and one mechanical carb on my car. I'm happy with my choice.

Didnt know you could get a Q-jet with mechanical secoundarys, would sure be interested in one,where do you get one?

convert vac to mech

What really makes the qjet mechanical secondaries different than the vacuum secondaries? Is it the choke stuff/linkage on the passenger side, that doesn't let the butterflies open? From what I can see on my vacuum secondary qjet on my shelf, is that if you removed the electric choke stuff, the secondaries would mechanically open whenever you "mechanically" opened the throttle. The "upper" butterflies have an adjustable spring rate, so it could be adjusted to open quickly, so can you convert a vacuum secondary qjet to mechanical?

Just scratching my head :pat:

I had a mech qjet on a previous vehicle, it looks pretty identical the to the vac qjet on my shelf. only difference is the mech qjet had a manual choke with a cable running to inside on the dash. The "choke" stuff on the vac qjet actually has linkage that interrupts the secondaries from opening.

But like the previous posters have said, I think a properly tuned mech or vac should be same performance, or such little difference you'd never be able to tell.

All Q-Jets have mechanical secondaries.

The air valve controls flow based on demand but the throttle plates are mechanically controlled. As the air valve opens, it lifts the secondary rods and allows fuel to flow on the secondary side.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom