Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about Airaid

KDSRGON

Corvette
I have e mailed David, but while I am waiting for his reply, I'll ask you guys. Do you think the accordion coupling between the stock LS3 intake and the engine is there because there may be some movement to be absorbed - and if the Airaid does away with this coupling, would you expect trouble down the road with something breaking loose?

Also - what about water getting in these CAI systems? Is Airaid and more or less likely to ingest water from driving in deep water?

Thanks,

Jack

You won't be disappointed with fit, finish, and mostly...price!

I have some pics posted in "cold air intake" thread.

I have e mailed David, but while I am waiting for his reply, I'll ask you guys. Do you think the accordion coupling between the stock LS3 intake and the engine is there because there may be some movement to be absorbed - and if the Airaid does away with this coupling, would you expect trouble down the road with something breaking loose?

Also - what about water getting in these CAI systems? Is Airaid and more or less likely to ingest water from driving in deep water?

Thanks,

Jack

Hello Jack,

The air filter element is protected from direct exposure to water and debris; care should be taken not to drive through deep water. WATER INGESTION IS THE DRIVERS RESPONSIBILTY!

you always want to be careful of your enviroments with or with out a CAI on the vehicle.

Thanks,
David

Boy...who is this "David@AIRAID" guy? I love the frankness!
:)

I totally agree....wather ingestion is the driver's responsibility, not the aftermarket manufacturer's.

The susceptibility of aftermarket air intake systems to water ingestion varies with the system's design, the deepness of the water and the speed of the vehicle.

Any of the CC intake kits which require you to cut a hole into the cooling air intake through which the modified air filter system breathes are the most likely to experience water ingestion. If you have ram air through the cooling air duct you also can have "ram water".

Those which have the filter taking air from the same area as does the OE filter assembly, are less susecptable to water ingestion than the systems described above but may be more susceptable to water ingestion than is the stock air filter assembly.

If the part in question is Airaid's PN 250-218, I suspect that the probability of water ingestion with that unit is not much higher than with the stock system. Still... I'd avoid "trying standing water at 25 mph."

Thanks to all for the information. Hib, nice to hear from you, I've read a lot of your stuff.

Thanks again,

Jack

Thanks,

Jack
The coupling is "accordioned" to allow flexion. Replacing something designed to flex with something designed to be rigid will cause add'l stress at the mounting points. Whether this stress is enough to cause a failure depends on many factors.

The benefit of a smooth coupler is smooth clean airflow. Your MAF will like this air over bumpy, dirty air as it's easier to deal with tune wise.

I would think the accordion is for shifts fore and aft of the motor mounts shifting movements, plus the torque movement of that said direction are 2, I believe. Air flow is if you stick a piece of paper you picked up on the road is going to show another air flow.

I would assume you feel it either subtle like (newspaper) or gradual where the air cleaner would clog up and run sluggish and rich. If you have a steel mesh behind the stock air cleaner, you can pull that off and gain more air speed and feel that difference by using the pleats in the air cleaner. I doubt the accordion or smooth change will affect the cylinder fill is sorta absolute no matter how it flows in.

I would think the accordion is for shifts fore and aft of the motor mounts shifting movements, plus the torque movement of that said direction are 2, I believe.
YES!
Air flow is if you stick a piece of paper you picked up on the road is going to show another air flow.
Are you referring to the MAF?
I would assume you feel it either subtle like (newspaper) or gradual where the air cleaner would clog up and run sluggish and rich. If you have a steel mesh behind the stock air cleaner, you can pull that off and gain more air speed and feel that difference by using the pleats in the air cleaner.
Mesh would act like an add'l filter element.(and a "reverse spark arrestor!");LOL
I doubt the accordion or smooth change will affect the cylinder fill is sorta absolute no matter how it flows in.
There's a whole science you stumbled onto in this. (Think "swirl.")

YES! Are you referring to the MAF? Mesh would act like an add'l filter element.(and a "reverse spark arrestor!");LOL There's a whole science you stumbled onto in this. (Think "swirl.")

Well, no, I meant half the air going in is think a smaller air hole is the time to draw the air in is slow it down. Nothing to do with MAF. More Physics is like basic?

As far as the air cleaner... I have removed my steel backing plate is I doubt the Vette filter has this design. You install a K&N we are not in a, "reverse spark arrest tore" but more on the lines of restriction as in faster air going in is that it is screen-less with larger pleats as in smaller microns can enter. If a more restricted OEM filter was used, we are back to slower air is catch the smaller micron. As in remove the stuck front page in the front 1/2 is clog my intake is again, basic moving air speed in the physics dept. :boogie

Swirl your nog gone is can you guess how fast a torn na dough moves in a swirl is doggy buns, squeeze me, we are not in CansAzz anymore! :ugh :rotfl

:w

Well, no, I meant half the air going in is think a smaller air hole is the time to draw the air in is slow it down. Nothing to do with MAF. More Physics is like basic?

As far as the air cleaner... I have removed my steel backing plate is I doubt the Vette filter has this design. You install a K&N we are not in a, "reverse spark arrest tore" but more on the lines of restriction as in faster air going in is that it is screen-less with larger pleats as in smaller microns can enter. If a more restricted OEM filter was used, we are back to slower air is catch the smaller micron. As in remove the stuck front page in the front 1/2 is clog my intake is again, basic moving air speed in the physics dept. :boogie

Swirl your nog gone is can you guess how fast a torn na dough moves in a swirl is doggy buns, squeeze me, we are not in CansAzz anymore! :ugh :rotfl

:w
I read this twice and still have zero clue as to what you're trying to say. ESL maybe?;shrug

It means that if you have less air restriction, you have a faster cylinder fill. You have changed nothing as far as needing a fuel bump from such a minor air change as a less restricted filter pleat.

In other words, I think the new, faster air can keep up with the electrics as if electricity cannot keep up with the air is that electricity moves in the air and how fast can lightening travel to ground is the air it travels in is that restriction.

So, I do not think you need to run out and buy a chip for the fuel trim thinking you changed a whole bunch of faster moving air just by a different air cleaner flow. :thumb

Make sense? ;shrug Your air is not in my air flow if you think there is something else going on over on your end. :chuckle :w

I would like to hear the argument about 14.7 being different over at youir part of the woods is not the same number is ask you about basic physics.

Someone needs to see air speed can keep up with the electrics is all I am saying is how fuel injection works as per 360 degrees of telemetry read.
How is it then that if you open the throttle real fast and the car takes off, wasn't that a whole bunch of air going in that the fuel sorta matched the flow and you burned the tires off the rims sorta air speed and all that is ignition fire kind of matched that faster moving air is it still turned 360 degrees and the telemetry or the sensors did follow that air gulp at the throttle angle.

I would like to now know if reading this has cleared up the simple read is now read that one again and did that make it clear a second time for you as this is the first time you read this and I did mean the same thing in this post is who would know that answer better than me to explain it to you is did that ;help ?

It means that if you have less air restriction, you have a faster cylinder fill. You have changed nothing as far as needing a fuel bump from such a minor air change as a less restricted filter pleat.
I agree with you about "less air restriction" means faster flow (regarding the air path.)
In other words, I think the new, faster air can keep up with the electrics as if electricity cannot keep up with the air is that electricity moves in the air and how fast can lightening travel to ground is the air it travels in is that restriction.
I'm not quite sure what the hell to make of this.;shrug (Something about lightening and a big house falling on the witch?)
So, I do not think you need to run out and buy a chip for the fuel trim thinking you changed a whole bunch of faster moving air just by a different air cleaner flow. :thumb
Agreed, no "chip" is necessary. However, fuel trims can be modded for optimum performance. It'll void your warranty though.
Make sense? ;shrug Your air is not in my air flow if you think there is something else going on over on your end. :chuckle :w

I would like to hear the argument about 14.7 being different over at youir part of the woods is not the same number is ask you about basic physics.
Nope, it's 14.7PSI @ sea level and 60F here also. (Might be a slight bit lower than this in the Gulf of Mexico currently howver.)
Someone needs to see air speed can keep up with the electrics is all I am saying is how fuel injection works as per 360 degrees of telemetry read.
How is it then that if you open the throttle real fast and the car takes off, wasn't that a whole bunch of air going in that the fuel sorta matched the flow and you burned the tires off the rims sorta air speed and all that is ignition fire kind of matched that faster moving air is it still turned 360 degrees and the telemetry or the sensors did follow that air gulp at the throttle angle.
First I thought there was a statement here followed by a question. Now, I'm not seeing the question anymore. Please read what you've typed or type slower because this makes zero sense. I think it's not "what you say" but moreover, "how you say it" that has this post unintelligable.
I would like to now know if reading this has cleared up the simple read is now read that one again and did that make it clear a second time for you as this is the first time you read this and I did mean the same thing in this post is who would know that answer better than me to explain it to you is did that ;help ?
I can only hope that you don't speak as you write, otherwise, you're going to get a lot of blank stares during your lifetime.;shrug

I agree with you about "less air restriction" means faster flow (regarding the air path.)
Well, good. We are on the same page and then you all of a sudden fall of the page... Watch..

Norty said:
I'm not quite sure what the hell to make of this.;shrug (Something about lightening and a big house falling on the witch?)
Right.... Now I see how you sorta slipped up clicking your heels. I am gonna say that for electricity to travel, it has to go through the air. Now, where I come from, there is air and electricity sorta travels through the air here. Now, if the electrics can meet the air each time, can you say 360 degrees meets the spark plug and that sorta can fire right on a degree if so programmed, Yes or No? Get back in or on my page is how we are going to understand the basics. I think I have this nailed down and people are calling me whack, (as if I do not think out of the envelope to understand some of this high tech is not too bad but more fun for me is hop aboard). It is not rocket science.

The Nor said:
Nope, it's 14.7PSI @ sea level and 60F here also. (Might be a slight bit lower than this in the Gulf of Mexico currently however.
OK, here is wear out my welcome and believe me, I am 16 websites deep in a, "you are not welcome back" is how I play my tech. I am not about to have you in my pit tuning my car and do not know your basics is how can you repair my car in the telemetry if you do not know what to look for? Now, I want you to or would you like for me to show you that if you WOT a vacuum gauge, that needle will go to zero and if you turned the car off and looked at that needle, they both would read 14.7PEE YES Eye said I can bring proof on a video if you like, and now you are disputing the absolute as if you are saying that fuel, spark or compression is not needed because it does not run on 14.7 where you live.

NOR is there 14.7 wear out he lives and breaths said:
First I thought there was a statement here followed by a question. Now, I'm not seeing the question anymore. Please read what you've typed or type slower because this makes zero sense. I think it's not "what you say" but moreover, "how you say it" that has this post unintelligable. I can only hope that you don't speak as you write, otherwise, you're going to get a lot of blank stares during your lifetime.;shrug
Did you see how no matter how I present the alpha signal in any form be it fuel, spark, compression. Your computer questions will always default back to something that is so complex to explain, that you can explain it in so many combinations it still defaults back to, 14.7 Pea Yes Eye thought you where on top of this stuff?

How did I do this time? You know, today I received an email someone telling me to go fill in the blank myself. I mentioned how many half/truths there are and now you read what people say without any evidence to what they are talking about. He might return my subscription is I really ticked him off and you wonder if all that time he relied on others is because I do not think he has that grasp of the fuel injection system and the 1Atmo = 14.7 is the base numb beer for Digital 3-D Fuel injection if it was way back first year j-tronic or alpha/Newmerica is America is losing the front to technology or just the few I bump into.

LIKE ALL 16 is count them... :boogie ;LOL Now, either you are on the same page to understanding something as simple as air speed though a free ear flowing filter or you are lost with the rest of what you read is I do not read you BUTT LOUD AND CLEAR... I am on page 14.7... You are in South America on some CarTell me about it. :cool :rotfl Watch chew smoking?

Yes or NO? Are we on the same page one more time is my password up for grabs is someone does not want to learn the hard way is how I deal with getting your tech notes up and running is fall right back to the basics and now I want you to either agree with the absolute(s = I do not make this these theories but OTTO did it his); way being the cylinder fires off or you MUST dispute, fuel-spark-compression = 14.7 is the floor is yours... :chuckle

Q. Well wait a minute. Are you saying that if I install my free flowing air cleaner, it will just zero out to 14.7 either way so why bother going over rich for nothing is it closes as 14.7 each and every time?
A. Yes

Q. You mean that all I am seeing is someone open their valve faster or say they set their valves at say on the tighter side and opened the valve sooner, there would be no change to sucking in 14.7?
A. Yep, no change WOT so ever is forever is bank on it.

Q. Then say, we both have our engines spinning same RPM but I would have to see how much in feet like the 1/4 mile where the same HP engines would the tighter valve car win bye 2MHP is times the faster speed or the sooner the valve opens the higher the rpm flies up is a preset HP so no harm, no foul is just a timed event is throwing the ball faster through the same air is still 14.7?
A. Sound Logical?

Q. Well you didn't say yes or no.
A. How do you know I didn't.

Q. YOu fooled me schooled me?
A. :chuckle A little...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom