Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about tires...

kcrick

Corvette
94 LT1 Coupe White/gray
...I know that summer tires shouldn't be driven in snow, but is there something about the tread compound that would preclude you from driving them on dry roads when it's cold? It appears that the temperature rating would allow it.

I've found that the 'summer' tires lose some grip as the road and tire get colder at least until you heat them up. That doesn't stop me from driving in the winter - they're just not as grippy when cold.

Tread pattern is more of an issue in the rain or snow.

The GY Super Car tires like the Z06 has are summer tires. They work okay in the winter but were not very good in the rain summer or winter - the tread grooves are too narrow - and they're worthless in snow/ice.

That's what I thought! That those tires might slide on me if they weren't warmed up....crap! Now I'm going to have to buy A/S tires!

Performance summer tires are designed for dry/wet traction, not ice or snow traction. Just compare a summer tire pattern to an A/S tire. Summer tires also "freeze" or firm up below 40 degrees. A good set of A/S or snow tires remain very flexible at low temps.

Nothing prevents use of summer tires on dry roads in cold weather but....the amazing grip that some of these tires have will be vastly reduced at low temperatures.

I've heard some really good things about Kuhmo ASX tires...I nearly bought them, but then ended up not.

I've heard some really good things about Kuhmo ASX tires...I nearly bought them, but then ended up not.
There will never be another GoodYear tire on my C5 Z-51!!:thumbHeres what my Kumho AXS's look like after 2 yr's 10 months,40,322 miles with my own alignment settings and not touched since except air pressure!!:thumb

And Guess What,I can still hear my Stereo!!:boogie:boogie:boogieAnd the car still is Very Stable on Standing Water and Wet Pavement!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Rt Front..............

attachment.php

Lt Front..............

attachment.php

Lt Rear.............

attachment.php

Rt Rear............

attachment.php

Please Excuse the dirt!!:D:D:D

I knew Junkie had them and really liked them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom