Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question for 69MYWAY

S

Spdfrk

Hi Cris it's me again. I am going to purchase a Griffin Radiator from Summit and was wondering if the stock radiator support will hold it? I have to buy a new support by the way.
I ask this question because I remember a post you put up saying that you built your own support for your Griffin.

It is very simple to modify a bracket to support the radiator.

TZracer turned me onto these radiators. He is using a basic stock bracket on his and it has worked for many years.

It will sit in the bottom of the support with some extra rubber cushion no problem. Then, you can make a Z shaped bracket for each side of the support to clamp the radiator in place.

If you really get stuck, I will post some pics of how I did mine.

I also put one in a 1969 race car vette. I made steel brackets on that car (over kill), but it was the same concept.

Ok ill give it a shot. I will go ahead and get the new support and customize it as needed. Thanks for the info. As usual, if I get stuck I know where to come.

spdfrk,

Which radiator are you getting? The Corvette style or the generic style? I bought the generic Chevy style Griffin aluminum for my 77. It is soooo much cheaper and it fits with only 1 modification. The lower coolant inlet tube on the radiator is straight not angled so you have to cut the lower radiator hose or use a new flexible hose. Mine has kept my L-82, A/c 4-spd car at 185 (t-stat temp) through the Houston summer. They are great radiators.

I would seriously suggest saving some big bucks and getting the generic style if you can. I didn't have to modify the radiator support at all, nada.

Russ

installed, not modifications

I installed the Griffen with no modifications to any of the brackets. I did you the corvette radiator and not the generic style...probably went wrong there. It's done now and it works great.

The radiator I am getting is the Griffin from Summit Racing online.
I just took the dimentions from the stock radiator ~ 31x19.
I believe the one from Summit is Generic because its about $190.

The only thing is, the cap is straight up not at an angle and it has no oil cooler built in so I have to purchase an oil cooler separately any suggestions???

Im a little confused now, I double checked the radiator from Summit and it says that the radiator they have (Chevy 31x19) is for circle track racing applications. Can I still use this radiator in my 77' Vette?? Where did you guys purchase your Griffins and at what price??

The downfall to doing a resto where I am is that I have to multiply the price in US$ by 5 or 6 to get it to me. So if the Griffin costs you guys US$200 it costs me $1200 of my dollars by the time it gets to my door. So the lower the price is usually the better option for me here.

Last year I was able to get my hands on a pair of one time use road race radiators for about $120 each. One was cheaper as it had an epoxy repair in the middle. These run about $400 or so I think new.

I may be able to get my hands on another one if I put the word out.

The only trick is the driver side upper outlet may require a custom molded hose to make the 90 degree turn coming out (depending on how your alternator is set up). Otherwise, it will drop right in.

I can check and see.

I remember when you had those two radiators, I was looking to get one off of you, but then you said that they had surge tanks and my Vette dosen't have a surge tank, just a regular cap fill type.

But put the word out if you can ill be most grateful. Ill hold off on the Summit Griffin for a while then. You think the Summit Griffin will fit?? Although it says its for circuit track.

I think the circle track will fit fine, but aren't those set for surge tanks too?

Let me see what I can dig up.

Russ

In your 77 what size and make Transmission oil coller did you use in your car with the Griffin Radiator.

Well,

Mines a 4-speed so no transmission oil cooler, sorry. I just bought the Generic Griffin Chevy radiator. As I recall, there were two different styles (something related to tubes/fins) and I got the slightly more expensive one (something like $180 or so). I wish I could remember exactly which one I got but I can't access summit here at work to let you know.

Russ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom