Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question for serious motorheads

craig32

Corvette
1981 repainted black coupe
If you're putting together a project vehicle with no heater, do you plug the heater hose outlets on the water pump and intake, or do you run a small hose from one to the other? Does this also cool the top of the engine, or can it be plugged? Also, on a 58 Corvette with two four barrels, where and how does the coil mount? Thanks in advance to all.

Craig

Regarding the heater core - every car I have seen minus the heater core has had both of those lines plugged off. I spent a lot of time looking for a pro street kind of car, maybe a drag racing car I could run on the street (I hate trailiering my car to the track), so I have seen quite a few of them. I also spend time looking at engines at the dragstrip (never know when you might learn something).

On chevy sbc/bbc project w/ no heater ... plug the wp & intake ... and hope you never have a fogged up windshield. Can't help you with coil location.
JACK:gap

The C1 2x4's mount the coil in a circular clamp that's welded to the passenger side spark plug wire support.
:beer

Thanks John, I'll have to look for one. . . Go Red Wings and Wolverines!!! :beer
Jack, no windshield, it's a tractor! Thanks all for the help

Craig

Coil on my vette is on the firewall anyhow....

I only have the one puny little carb for now though... :D

It's currently on the passenger side on that little protruded area sorta above the heater box deal....I'm going to move it to the driver side in the hollow between the wiper motor and the brake booster (where I had my Mallory box before I mounted my MSD box out near the windshield washer reservoir on the "mezafirewall" thingy.) I just never cared for putting the coil on the intake for heat. I know they are designed to go there and all, but I just don't like it and that's the story I'm sticking with!

On the Blazerstein, it's in the cab along with all the other electronic stuff... through-firewall connector whatsit and all to keep everything electric dry...

...so you have a vette tractor, huh? COOL!!! Is is a John Duntov? ;LOL

Yeah ok, I can live with that - 'Vettractor' :gap It has a Ford solid front axle (with Monte Carlo rotors on it) and a Dodge Gas cap ;LOL

question for serious motorheads

Hi all,
I was also thinking of blocking off my heater hoses.I have read about people installing manual shut off valves on the hoses.This way if you need your heat,you just open the valves.I like this idea.My only question is where to place the valves?Close to the block,somewhere in the middle,or close to the firewall.Has anyone used this setup,and could give an opinion?Thanks

Very effective solution to reduce the cockpit heat issue; install the valve in the 5/8" supply hose from the intake manifold fitting to the lower nipple on the heater core - doesn't matter where you put it in that hose.
:beer

JohnZ,
Thanks for your reply.I just got back from town with the new ball valve.I will be installing it soon.

After my second heater core meltdown, I put two manual valves on all heaps

I got two nifty SS 90 degree through valves on this one, but commonly use two cheapy regular brass/bronze ones. Both of mine are relatively close to the engine on this one to minimize length of hose to leak in the case of a hose failure. JohnZ is right, you really only need the one to block flow. I use two so in case of a flakey heater core failure (wish I could get a nifty all welded aluminum one....maybe in time for the real engine) I can completely isolate the core with two valve throws.

I always make a point to keep the valves cracked open very slightly to equalize any pressure and keep coolant circulating a small amount. I don't know if that's really necessary, but it seems a good idea. I want to reinstall the regular heat control valve at some time - I can't recall if I've ever seen it on the vette!

Another question:

I also have my heater core "out of the loop". I ran a short hose from the water pump to the intake manifold. Does anyone see a disadvantage to this?

Thanks!

No heater!

:L

Sorry.... :D

Nah, should do the same thing, although I'm not sure the usual heater rig and such a short circuit doesn't imbalance the return flow through the heads...but not sure (I don't believe it's a problem). I know water pump manufacturers jump through hoops to claim how closely balanced their flow is through each side though, although it may just be hype.

78 L82 4spd said:
Another question:

I also have my heater core "out of the loop". I ran a short hose from the water pump to the intake manifold. Does anyone see a disadvantage to this?

Thanks!
Are they the same size? Or did you use an adapter for 5/8 to 3/4 inch?

Wayne - thanks for your feedback. You have me curious about the balance. I have been having some "hard start when hot" problems and I wonder if this is part of the problem (turns over OK, seems to act flooded, like a vapor lock problem). Maybe worth putting it all back to see if it goes away.

Lucky76 - I seem to remember having different size hose fittings. I think I "made" it fit!

No, it shouldn't affect it.... I have yet to hear a single

report of this being a problem.

Plus, I realize I may not have made sense or communicated worth a hoot when I reread my last babbling....this wouldn't make any difference whether the heater was in or out - looped or not.

I have just occasionally been bothered on my setup with the front to rear water tubes, which on the passenger side T's into the heater supply line. I always thought that really should be somehow centered on the water neck (I have a raised one with an elevated second radiator cap to bleed air out on mine) or from the center of a rear Y-pipe if that was used (I don't have a rear Y-pipe setup - I think it's redundant with the fore to aft cooling tubes, and they are a leak prone nuisance that get in the way of the distributor.) I may take off the base of my center elevated water neck dealy and drill and tap a hole in it for a heater supply line, but it's probably not that important.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom