Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

question on air intake

D

Deusxmachine

I am wanting to put a new air intake on my 1990 L98. I have seen a lot about the vortec ram air system. Is this a good mod and is there anything better to consider, also where would be the best place to purchase from. thanks for the help

Most people just cut the stock air box open (call the fins out to one large hole), then install a free flow filter.

This will net as much air as anything else, plus it is inexpensive.

I just cut out the box and installed a K&N. The Vortex is going to run you about 250-300. I got the K%N for $70. They both increase the air flow and there is a interesting tibit in the corvette performance web site that implies the cold air effect will be minimalized in a L98 becasue your manifold will heat up the air anyway. The HP increase from the cold air would be best on the LT1 and at that only 3 HP. I would save the extra $200 and apply it to a more meaningful mod.

DC

I'd say it's up to your budget. I installed the Vortex Ram Air and had a noticeable increase of acceleration. I also like the aftermarket look for the intake. I'm satisfied with the $300 I spent. My 2 cents. :s

-JimS

i would just add a K & N, but the box is cracked and instead of buying a new factory unit i would rather get a whole kit. thanks for the info any other suggestions?

I don't know where your crack is, but when we bought our 90 the plastic part of the air cleaner housing was cracked where it attached to the flexible intake tube that goes to the engine.

I had to hunt one down in a scrap yard for like $50. I was able to reuse the metal part and then cut it open for max air flow.

So, you may still want to see if you could just replace the stock plastic base, then go with the cut open lid, etc. etc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom