Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question on C1 brake line relacement

Corvette
1962 rebuild in progress
I am replacing the brake lines on my 62' this weekend with stainless steel lines. When reinserting brake line fitting's into brake blocks and brake line connection points is there any need in using something like a teflon tape around connector threads to help seal against any leaks. Thanks for any input.

The flare fittings on brake lines don't require any additional sealers on the threads. Don't know if you have done this before but I would recommend using a little heat and a line wrench when removing the old fittings. This worked very well for me when I replaced all the lines on my 61.

Little heat did work well in keeping the brake blocks in good shape when I dismantled original lines or what was left of them. Appreciate your input, enjoy reading about your progress on your 61'. Thanks

I quit buying stainless brake lines many years ago - they're a PITA to deal with. Many of the double flares are micro-cracked or uneven/distorted (because the stainless is so hard), and leaks at the brass blocks are common; if you over-torque them to stop the leaks, the hard stainless will deform the soft seats in the brass blocks, and then they won't seal with ANY brake line. If you get a bad one and have to cut it and install a new fitting, it's almost impossible to double-flare stainless lines with home flaring tools without damaging the lines. OEM TBW (tinned Bundyweld) brake lines will outlast any of us - they lasted the first 40 years with lousy care, didn't they? Just my opinion.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom