Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question on some leakage

N

nmacdonald

A few weeks ago I took my '85 over to Corvette Care here in Columbus. Lloyd walked me through everything he could to help me get to know my Vette. Then I left it with him to fix an oil pan gasket leak, do a tune-up and some other odds and ends. Man what a difference! Especially the plug change. Could be happier with the work he did.

A few days after I picked up the car, I noticed some new leaks under the car. Some that were worse than before. So I took it back over to Lloyd. We looked at it and noticed two things:

1. The transmission drain plug in the BBK transmission pan was loose and leaking. It had two washers on it - one is a fairly thick plastic one. Does anyone know if that's normal?

2. There was oil in the "dust cover" protecting the protecting the large round gear thingy just in front of the oil pan. I'm sure Lloyd told me what it was, but I don't remember. The odd thing is --- the oil pan is dry and no leaks anywhere. There's a small leak at the bottom of the crankcase cover, but we knew that and it's not leaking enough to cause this kind of problem. But looking at the engine, it looks dry and fairly clean. Does anyone have any ideas on where this oil my be coming from? When we checked the dipstick, it showed full - uhm!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[Could be happier with the work he did.]

What I meant to say is I could NOT be happier with the work he did. The car has never run better, accelerated faster, and been easier to start than it is today.

You've already changed the oil pan gasket, so....

Timing cover
Timing cover crankshaft seal
Rear main crank seal
Intake manifold to block seal. Both front and rear
Valve covers
Fuel pump blockoff plate.

I'm in the same boat as you. Tracking down a leak. I won't show itself while idling.

Yes, I've isolated the crankcase cover leak. Decided to let it be, since it is so labor intesive.

The manifold gasket was replaced when Lloyd had it a few weeks ago.

Regarding some of the other areas - you would think it would show up somewhere on the block, but nothing visible. And, the dip stick doesn't show any evidence. At least, not much.

Not sure of the significance of the oil collecting in that dust cover though.

thanks....

Did the cover get cleaned after the pan gasket was installed. Oil from a leaky pan could get in the flywheel cover. If the cover was cleaned I would be checking the front of the transmission for leaks. Not sure if it would get inside the cover if the trans pan gasket leaked up front. Can you identify what kind of oil it is? red color = trans fluid . Hopefully you don't have a rear main seal out. ;shrug

:w

nmacdonald said:
2. There was oil in the "dust cover" protecting the protecting the large round gear thingy just in front of the oil pan.

Is this '"dust cover" protecting the large round gear thingy"' the flywheel cover (would be right behind the oil pan drain plug)?

If so, the rear main seal might be leaking.

Well, just because you have oil on the flywheel dust cover doesn't necessarily mean the rear seal is leaking. The key is to clean everything off, and then drive it and get it leaking again. It makes it a little easier to see where it is coming from. I did this several times before I figured out it was the oilpan to timing cover seal leaking. At least that is one of them. If you're driving the car, it is going to drip and get thrown back on anything behind it. I have oil on my starter, oilpan, transmission, etc.
I think I have finally located my leak. Timing cover right at the alignment pins. After an exhaustive search with a small flashlight, I saw some leaking today. I was suprised. I let it set for about 20 or 30 minutes idling, and saw a small puddle forming. I just hate the fact that I am going to have to pull everything off the front of the motor to get to it!:mad

Initially we knew there was a small leak at the timing chain cover right at the bottom. But it's never been more than a drop here and there. Also saw that the transmission pan bolt was leaking. So I fixed that today - at least I think I fixed it! Cleaned that area also.

Did notice dripping from the dust cover. Wiped it off and didn't see any thing for the next several minutes while working under there. I'll check everything again in the morning to see what's happening. I just thought it was odd for that leak to appear after having the oil pan gasket replaced. Guess it's just a coincidence.

Good news -- new plugs make a heck of a difference! Can't believe it. Every since I bought the car I've been disappointed in how it performs on the highway when accelerating. It just kinda thought about it first before doing anything. Now, no hesitation, when I "say" fly - she flys!!!!

Also, I had this issue with full acceleration on the highway --- under full pedal, it would "burp" or "stall" then kick in the power. Now, no burp, no stall, just pure unadulterated speed!!! I'm lovin' it!

The previous owner had put in Bosch Platinum 4 plugs -- Lloyd at Corvette Care put in stock plugs. It really is amazing the difference. Heck, it even starts so quick, it's almost like I've not even turned the key!

I appreciate everyone's feedback. And Lloyd - I appreciate your expertise and assistance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom