Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Questions: 2003 Z51 vs. F55 MSRC vs. FE1 (Base) Suspension - Actual Drive Experience

Tenorplayer23

Corvette
2003 Millenium Yellow Coupe
Am looking for driving experience(s) with the 2003 C5 suspension choices. In the process of purchasing a 2003 Coupe, after having a 2000 Coupe and felt I wanted something other than the base suspension this time (flatter ride). Having read the various articles on the F55 MSRC and Z51, would like to know if the Z51 in a coupe is too harsh for everyday driving........and how it compares, handling-wise to the new F55. I assume the F55 will be a more isolated/comfortable ride........but, what are the =/-'s of the Z51 (aside from the $1200 savings).

Would appreciate the feedback.

Hi Tenorplayer23,
I have a 2003 with the Z51. It is my first Vette. All articles I read (C&D, MT,R&T) all had praises for the Z51, but made no mention of the base suspension. The common thread was that "you could really feel the road". The Z51 has a bigger anti-sway bar, bigger springs, and a larger shock that the base suspension and the F55. The important part I came away with was that the "bigger" suspension kept the whels on the road better - a major plus for me. Unfortunately the reports on the F55 suspension came out -after- I purchased my Vette. The F55 sounds good, but I also come away with the idea it can "put you asleep" i.e. you feel the road less, or in other words a more comfortable (softer) ride. Not for me, I want to drive my Vette. And it has been a great drive snice August, 2002.

Tenorplayer23 - Welcome to the :CAC
-enjoy :beer

Hi there,
Honestly, it all depends on how much of an aggressive driver you are.
Me personally, I love the Z51 because I like a tight feel to the road, and flat cornering. Too harsh, nope, not for me. Even my daughter loves the ride, and she is 6.
Never had complaints from those whom use Z51 on a daily basis.
The biggest advantage to F55 Magnetic ride control, is exactly that, CONTROL.
This is a suspension that constantly adjusts to road irregularities. If you get aggressive when driving, it adjusts for it. If you just want to cruise, it softens up to give a great ride.
The slightest down side is cornering flatness, and unless you are a professional driver, I dont believe that you will find this a problem.
Although, I have done more than 1 FE4 upgrade on the sway bars for the F55, and everyone likes it.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom