Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Questions for C6 Owners

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
For those of you that have owned and driven your 2005 Corvettes for a while now, what are your overall opinions of the car?

1. What do you love about the car; it's comfort, handling, quality, etc?

2. What would you like to see different? What changes, additions, deletions or tweeks would you like to have seen on your C6?

I love the C6, this is the best Corvette that I have owned (one C4 vert, two C5's) but I am concerned about the number of problems (crank bolt, brake line failures, electrical problems, etc). What I would not get on the car again would be the polished wheels (don't look as good as the ones on my C5, dull), probably not the XM, and the navigation system. That would leave on my car the 1SB and Z51. I like the heads up display and the Z51 handles great and it is not rough riding, in fact I think it rides better than my C4 which had the 3 way shock set up (can't remember what they called it but it optioned out for about 1600). Anyway that is my 2 cents. Save the Wave!!

I like the smaller size of the C6. That and the new design are the main reasons I bought it. The car is tight, comfortable and responsive at any speed. The low nose takes getting used to so you don't snag a parking bumper. It is a real attention getter anywhere I drive it. Maybe because there aren't too many on the roads yet. This is my 8th Corvette and the most enjoyable yet. :cool

So far, after two three trips, I love the car. I have not had any of the problems previously mentioned and the car has given me excellant performance. While I like the shorter size, carrying the luggage I need might be an issue in the future. This is my fourth Corvette and is superior to the others.

I continue to be disappointed in the Bose system, but am unwilling to spend the amount of money needed to replace it(as I did I in three other Corvettes).

In summery: I love the style and the performance, which is why we buy Corvettes.

I bought my C6 (MY Coupe/1SB/AT/3.51) last November after test driving it. It has 8000 miles on it now, and I couldn't be happier with it. We took it on a 4000 mile round trip to BG for the Bash in April, and it was so comfortable and quiet on the road. The power and handling are great, and we have had no problems. The car is fun to drive, but equally fun is all the attention it receives wherever I go. I get lots of approving nods and thumbs up from young, old, male, female, etc. I have to say, the styling is really a knockout. The only thing I have changed is to ditch the black spoiler and door handles, replacing them with body-color units.

This is my first Corvette, at age 58, and if I'd known it was really this much fun to own one, I would have started much sooner!
:D

This is my 6th Corvette and without doubt the best yet. The only problem I have had is the "SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM". It's annoying but not fatal. The comfort level is outstanding and the ride (even with Z51) is great. This thing has gobs of torque. I didn't think I would like the XM radio but after the 3 month trial I had to reup the day it quit on me. The new shifter on the 6 speed is great. Equal to the B&M I put on the 2000 FRC. The heated seats were nice when I was back east but won't be used much here in sunny Las Vegas(110 yesterday). I would plunk down the cash to get another in a heartbeat. Changes? Always more power and torque.

I absolutley love my C6. As I've stated before, it's the finest machine I've ever driven. That said, my improvements have all been discussed on this forum.

Slightly louder exhaust system. (I want my vette to sound like a vette) without having to by an aftermarket.) Not earth shaking, just a mild rumble.

Improved sound system. (If Bose can make a wave radio that sounds like a concert hall, it should be able to provide a much better quality sound system for the corvette.)

They need to update the nav system dvd about once a year (I would gladly buy a new dvd when they come available.) And allow it to play mp3's

I would have liked the same size brake calipers on the back like the front with the Corvette emblem.

For the XM folks, I dont see why they can't mount the antenna in the trunk or at least on the top of the windshield inside the glass.

The cruise control is difficult to get used to. I would like to see it mounted on the steering wheel facing the driver. Would make it much more user friendly.

The quality of the polished aluminum wheels could be better. Mine are a little milky.

Otherwise, I'm happy :D

I have put 10,500 miles on my C6 since the 29th of January, including a 6,000 mile, 32 day road trip that started with the CruiseFest, and ended with Bloomington Gold that ended just yesterday. The car performed better than I expected. Even the Z51 tires didn't let me down in all the downpours and sleet that covered the ground in Colorado (I'll still replace them with a better all-weather tire). I didn't use any oil on the trip, and DIC says I still have 60% oil life remaining. The Z51 was plenty comfortable for several 750 mile plus days.

I'd like to see GM engineer in more convenient jacking points for the C6. We shouldn't have to conjur up devices to modify a standard floor jack to fit into the half-assed "lifting points." That fix could cost our cash- strapped General next to nothing. Console glove box padding should be standard. The plastic console material should be made more scratch resistant. Fix the memory system once and for all (my C5 and C6 both get "confused" with mirror setting, etc. once in a while). The floor mats are a joke on a $50,000 car. Paint ALL the parts body color, and don't make us replace black parts - that's really cheesy for any manufacturer. Offer chrome wheels for those who don't like polished alloy or paint. Offer a 4/48000 as the standard warr. (the Koreans can give out 10/100,000 on a $9,000 car).

The Vette is good, but it should still be viewed as a work in progress that can get better, and probably will.

The XM antenna really doesn't bother me. The black spoiler and door handles don't either. I would prefer to see a little less road grit settle on the rear by slight improvements to the airflow.

But the main thing is storage space organizers. I'd like to see something that would help keep stuff from sliding around back there, not a simple cover to keep it out of sight only. I really don't want my camera bag or tripod impaling me, or have to reach all over the place for CD cases, phone charge cord, briefcase, etc. This could be an aftermarket item, but why should it have to be? Glove compartments and trunks aren't.

Oh, slightly beefed up exhaust sound....

Greywolff said:
The XM antenna really doesn't bother me. The black spoiler and door handles don't either. I would prefer to see a little less road grit settle on the rear by slight improvements to the airflow.

But the main thing is storage space organizers. I'd like to see something that would help keep stuff from sliding around back there, not a simple cover to keep it out of sight only. I really don't want my camera bag or tripod impaling me, or have to reach all over the place for CD cases, phone charge cord, briefcase, etc. This could be an aftermarket item, but why should it have to be? Glove compartments and trunks aren't.

Oh, slightly beefed up exhaust sound....

Mid-America has a "cargo-organizer" for the C5 that might fit the C6. P/N 100-551.

I got 4200 miles on my DSOM coupe.It is my fourth vette and by far the best.
I had the mass air flow sensor replaced thats all. The only way i would get rid of this car is to get a new one.
toad

I now have 1400 miles on my MSM 6spd 1SA coupe. The only problem I have had is the radio has hickupd' several times & will not turn on right away & when it does the pre-sets are gone. I read somewhere that it's a software problem, go figure. Not worth taking it in, as it's only done it twice.

I love everything about the car except, the console will move if your or the passenger's leg bumps it and it makes an annoying squeeking sound. :mad

It is a quantum leap from my C4:upthumbs

What can be better?

One year ownership in a few weeks and no problems.

What it is;
Unbelievable.
Quick.
Great handling.
Great gas mileage.
Outstand ride.
Yearns to be driven.

What it needs;
Radio delete with no possibility of installing one, not sure it works yet.
Lower.
Faster.

Go back to the C5 interior.
Lower.
Faster.

Dump the painted interior trim.
Lower.
Faster.
Above all more time to drive it.
Lower.
Faster.

More division for the next generation, not another slight upgrade.
Less punishment if you don't put it in reverse at shutdown.

One of every generation and of course they can't compare to this one but they've all been fun, (except the 63, GM at it's lowest quality level).

Greywolff said:
But the main thing is storage space organizers. I'd like to see something that would help keep stuff from sliding around back there, not a simple cover to keep it out of sight only.
Have you seen the new GM one?

cargo.jpg

Pretty nice. I wonder when they will be available?

Billybeau1 said:
The quality of the polished aluminum wheels could be better. Mine are a little milky Otherwise, I'm happy :D

I'm a bit disapointed with the dull wheels myself but I also can visualze shiny chrome on my black C6 as a bit overpowering taking away from the cars classy appearance.
Since its obvious GM will be doing nothing to satisfy those wanting a bit more shine, I'm wondering what it would take for them to satisfy my need by replacing or offering up inexpensive (at cost) replacement center covers with more shine to replace the current dull caps.
The end result (I think?) would be nicer looking wheel with a two toned effect, a wheel with more brilliance and sparkle then how they appear now.
Just my opinion.
And...more power plugs PLEASE.
Put it in the rear compartment for connecting optional 12v. accessories such as a small cooler for traveling.
Dashboard wired connections look tacky, very tacky.
Joe

catbert said:
Pretty nice. I wonder when they will be available?
They're available now, although a little pricy. Part #17800652, "Organizer" for $195.00

timetovette said:
I'm a bit disapointed with the dull wheels myself but I also can visualze shiny chrome on my black C6 as a bit overpowering taking away from the cars classy appearance.
Since its obvious GM will be doing nothing to satisfy those wanting a bit more shine, I'm wondering what it would take for them to satisfy my need by replacing or offering up inexpensive (at cost) replacement center covers with more shine to replace the current dull caps.
The end result (I think?) would be nicer looking wheel with a two toned effect, a wheel with more brilliance and sparkle then how they appear now.
Just my opinion.
And...more power plugs PLEASE.
Put it in the rear compartment for connecting optional 12v. accessories such as a small cooler for traveling.
Dashboard wired connections look tacky, very tacky.
Joe

GM isnt about to do anything for you because they dont think that anything is wrong!!!! In my opinion, your black vette will look teriffic with the chrome wheels. The problem is that they are not available until the end of the year.

I think your car would look great with chrome wheels. I put chrome on

myDSOM C6. Try Corvettes of Houston. toad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom