Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quick intake question

M

MusclesWit350

Today I picked up an Edelbrock performer rpm intake man. It looks pretty sweet can't wait to get it on there. I have never done this before and it doesn't look too hard but how long did it take you guys to throw it on? Any tips? My main concern is the distributor, throttle linkage... Also will the stock carb fit on this intake. Im going to get a new carb too but im only 18 and I just buy parts when I get some extra money, so im hoping to put the intake on then maybe next month buy a new carb...

Thanks

We purchased a new carb at the time we bought the intake (Ed/Perf/RPM) but after I got it out of the box it looked like the original carb could have fit.
I seem to recall that instead of a square bore, it did seem wider at the secondaries... Don't hold me to that, but that is what I recall thinking... I really wanted to keep and use my orig carb, but it was REALLY worn out and buying the new carb was the best thing for the 78.
Heidi

Performer RPM intakes come in two flavors. One for the spread bore carb, like the Q-Jet, and the other for square bore carbs, like the Holley.

#7104 is the spread bore
#7101 is the square bore

MusclesWit350 said:
Today I picked up an Edelbrock performer rpm intake man. It looks pretty sweet can't wait to get it on there. I have never done this before and it doesn't look too hard but how long did it take you guys to throw it on? Any tips? My main concern is the distributor, throttle linkage... Also will the stock carb fit on this intake. Im going to get a new carb too but im only 18 and I just buy parts when I get some extra money, so im hoping to put the intake on then maybe next month buy a new carb...

Thanks

Go to the edelbrock web site...you will find instructions to install the manifold...bolt patterns and torque specs. i have both performer manifold and carb ...work great together and mount with little to no hassle. fits nice under the hood.

MusclesWit350 said:
...Any tips?...

A few tips:

Use gasket sealant on the intake gaskets. There is an Edelbrock and a Felpro gasket with the rubber beads surrounding the ports -They're pretty good. Use anti-seize compound on the intake bolts. Find top-dead-center on the #1 piston, mark the relative location between the distributor body and the rotor pointer and the #1 electrode on the distributor cap. When assembling it back on, move the harmonic balancer mark to the manual required degrees before-top- dead-center and drop-in the distributor while re-aligning the match marks you made between the rotor, body, and the #1 electrode on the distributor cap.

These will help things along.

GerryLP:cool

Bob Chadwick said:
Isn't the Performer RPM too tall to fit under the stock hood?

Yes, will need a 7/8"drop base and an open element 3" filter to jet the hood closed. I am trying to fab up something that will give me the cold air like the stock set up. Unsuccessful at this point. Have an RPM intake and love it with my Q-Jet.

Regular Performer will fit using stock air cleaner.

My mistake! My Edelbrock is NOT the RPM, as I can close the hood.

when you get a new intake gasket it comes with rubber gaskets included for the front and rear rails - throw the d*mn things away and don't try to use them.
Instead, use Permatex Ultra Cooper RTV and put a nice bead along the front and rear rails on the block and let it sit for 5 minutes or so before dropping the intake down. Don't forget a nice bead around the end ports of the heads which are the water jacket ports also. Also, when laying down the bead of RTV make sure you put a little extra amount right in the corner where the block rails join the ends of the heads, this is a common leak area.

To give you an idea of the Permatex RTV on the rails and the around the water jacket ports I have a few pictures on my website showing exactly this step when I was reassembling the L82 from my '78 here:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page133/page152/page152.html
The pictures on this page you want to look at are in the 2nd and 3rd rows and are titled "Intake manifold gasket". They show the main intake gaskets after placing them on the motor with gasket adhesive than the Permatex bead before setting the intake down

When laying down the RTV try to make it a nice continious bead rather than stopping and starting or it probably won't seal as well.
You want anice bead approx 1/8" thick. Too much is as bad as too little - too much and it will ooze out as you tighten up the intake and you need to realize that it will ooze out as much inside the lifter valley of the motor as it does on the outside of the block so if too much oozes out on the inside, it can break off and now you have big pieces of RTV floating arounf the inside of the motor......potentially blocking oil passages or getting caught up in the lifters. More is not better - use the correct amount of RTV when laying down your bead.

I won't argue Gerry's advice on the anti-sieze on the intake bolts but i've never had trouble remove intake bolts from my motors. What I do use on them though is a nice dab of permatex on the threads before inserting them in - this keeps oil from wicking up the threads and collecting on top of the intake during use.

Felpro is suppose to be an excellent gasket but I used their gaskets on my valve covers and had leaking like crazy so had to replace them. On my 'L82 I ended up just going to my local Chevy dealer and they had the stock intake gasket set for the motor in stock (it's really nothing more than a basic Chevy SB gasket set anyway), it cost less than thru the corvette specialty parts vendors, it's the actual GM part, and it works great.

When reinstalling the distributor, don't forget to use the new distributor gasket that also comes included with the intake gasket kit.

Have fun! :thumbs:

Just one thing to add. Be sure to us brake cleaner or something similar and a rag to clean all oil from any surface that you use RTV on. Oil will cause a leak.If you have oil on the surface the RTV can actually blow out.

Glenn
:w

BarryK said:
To give you an idea of the Permatex RTV on the rails and the around the water jacket ports I have a few pictures on my website showing exactly this step when I was reassembling the L82 from my '78 here:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page133/page152/page152.html
The pictures on this page you want to look at are in the 2nd and 3rd rows and are titled "Intake manifold gasket". They show the main intake gaskets after placing them on the motor with gasket adhesive than the Permatex bead before setting the intake down

Awesome photos!

Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom