Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: r12 freon repairs

turtledeck

Corvette
1981 beige and dark bronze
If you guys are like me I found switching from r12 to 134a was not a great repair. The 134a does not cool like r12 . I did some looking for another fix and found a new freon that is eco friendly. The system doesnt need any changes in fittings or oil, cost is $38.00 for 3 cans it is r12a sold on ebay under the name of red tek . My vett and my old chevy truck cool like new.

As I am a skeptic I prefer to wait until the experts state their opinions on new refrigerants. Wikipedia has a great deal to say about automotive refrigerants so I recommend educating yourself as much as possible before making any drastic changes. There are many brand names of refrigerants now days but I suspect most of them are the same formula but packaged under different labels.

I made the change to 134a 6 years ago and have nothing negative to say about it other than it takes about 250 psi on the high side to get adequate cooling.

I've found if you do a proper retro fit to 134a by the book,You can hang a half of beef in it without spoiling!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS Don't carry around your Brass Monkey either,His nuts will hit the floor with a clink!!~~ :D

If you guys are like me I found switching from r12 to 134a was not a great repair. The 134a does not cool like r12 . I did some looking for another fix and found a new freon that is eco friendly. The system doesnt need any changes in fittings or oil, cost is $38.00 for 3 cans it is r12a sold on ebay under the name of red tek . My vett and my old chevy truck cool like new.

Is there any chance of buying and using r12 could land you in trouble from our oppressive govt. like the EPA?

Is there any chance of buying and using r12 could land you in trouble from our oppressive govt. like the EPA?

Only if you start manufactoring R12 or try to import R12 from south of the border. Use of existing stocks of R12 is o.k.

The latest formula that MOST manufacturers are using is the R-1234yf but even that is coming under scrutiny. I'll just use what most are using. When I converted my '71 over to R-134a 6 years ago I modified the $5 R-134a can adapter so I could continue using my R-12 gauge set. So my '71 has R-134a in it but still uses the R-12 schrader valve fittings. I'll let the next owner worry about installing the correct fittings. When I converted it I also trashed the POA valve so I could use a cycling clutch like the later C3's. The part cost $115 if I recall and it just takes the place of the POA valve.

The most efficient refrigerant of all is still ammonia as it only requires about 150 psi. But because of the danger of inhaling ammonia it is outlawed for use in automobiles.

About 15 years ago I was trying my best to find the source of a R-12 refrigerant leak in my '82. I had tried using a dye to locate the leak but had no luck so I bought an electronic leak detector and FINALLY found it was the evaporator that was leaking when I stuck the probe into my interior vents when my A/C was running. So if you ever have a leak that seemingly can't be found be sure to check the vents.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom