Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio theft-deter disabling procedure...SNAG

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
I recently pulled up from a CAC search a somewhat lengthy but supposedly effective way to disable the radio theft-deterrent feature, so I can reset it with a new pin. My 2000 had a new battery installed. The previous owner never supplied me with the code. Now I just get a "LOC" message. So, I tried this method (can't remember the CAC member who passed it on) and got the first three code numbers. Great so far. The next step in the outlined procedure is to push the AM/FM button, after which the next three numbers should appear. No such luck; it just goes back to "LOC". Has anyone else:
1) tried this procedure successfully? 2) had the same problem I'm having?
3) have an idea what I'm not doing right? Thanks for your input!

[FONT=Arial,]Copied page over for you, hope it helps, I need to do it my self, but have not yet tried.[/FONT]
Good luck

[FONT=Arial,]The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere). Procedure: 01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC) 02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds 03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step. 04. Press the AM/FM button 05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one. 06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05 07. Call 1 800 537 5140 08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again” 09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start) 10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star) 11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice 12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC) 13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11 14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code. Note: This tip originated from LOTZAHP, Austin TX (credit must be given where credit is due). I verified it on an Y2K C5 with a locked radio - mine.

[/FONT]
KBase v1.0
©2001 TLC Web Enterprises
All Rights Reserved
Timer: This page was generated in
0.0114 seconds.

white_pixel.gif
clear_pixel.gif
white_pixel.gif

BulletTime said:
I recently pulled up from a CAC search a somewhat lengthy but supposedly effective way to disable the radio theft-deterrent feature, so I can reset it with a new pin. My 2000 had a new battery installed. The previous owner never supplied me with the code. Now I just get a "LOC" message. So, I tried this method (can't remember the CAC member who passed it on) and got the first three code numbers. Great so far. The next step in the outlined procedure is to push the AM/FM button, after which the next three numbers should appear. No such luck; it just goes back to "LOC". Has anyone else:
1) tried this procedure successfully? 2) had the same problem I'm having?
3) have an idea what I'm not doing right? Thanks for your input!

I replaced my battery on a 2000 as well and never had this situation unless I am miss understanding what your really talking about. If you have this theft deterant set should I see a flashing red light on the radio? Not too sure I understand this though; is there a need to reset any of this when you replace the battery? And if so what kind of symptons should I be experiencing? Just curious if I need to do something and just didn't know it.

Thanks,
2:) :):) C:w RVETTE
Bill :confused

Sorry it took so long to respond to these replies...
Here's the problem I have-- I bought the C5 from another owner (off ebay, actually) and had it shipped to my house. He never gave me the pin for the radio in case of power loss probably because he never had to use it (and therefore probably never knew it himself). I'm the 3rd owner, I believe, and this being my first Vette, didn't know about this feature. So, without an "unlock" code that was set by who knows which owner, I'm currently SOL. As I stated, I tried the elaborate procedure you see listed, and got the first three numbers. It's when I go to press the AM/FM button that I run into a dead end. The display is supposed to show three new numbers, but it just goes back to "LOC". I tried pressing the button shortly after I see the first three numbers--tried pressing it after "LOC" re-appears--tried pressing it and holding it down--nothing. What am I not doing right!!??

Radio Theft Deterant

Hey I am at a loss as well; I have never had to do this but I did replace my battery and thought this may have lock the radio on yours because it didn't mine. If this deterant is set isn't there a red light that flashes? Because I am pretty sure I don't have the red light flashing. Thought I might need to do this as well but now I am not sure. Is this always set to start with or do you have to do this when the car is new or what:confused

Just thought maybe this was something I needed to do yet. I guess when I get the chance I will read the owners manual and see what the procedures are for this feature. I am assuming your radio doesn't work at all; is that correct? This lock code should only work when someone tries to steal the radio isn't that also correct?

If this is not set (red light flashing) should I even mess with it I guess in my case is the question I would have?

Thanks,
Bill :confused

I don't know, but I should think that the dealer could help you with this. Surely there is some way to get the original with the VIN, or see if there is a generic reset mechanism. This must be a common problem.

I would think so as well. I am also assuming his radio doesn't work at all. Becasue I would have to look again, but I don't think this deterent is active on my radio; if it was the red light would flash, is this not correct?

Bill

Same problem here. I bought the car used and don't have the unlock code. I had my car worked on and the power was disconnected. When I got the car back, the radio was in loc mode. The dealer fixed it easy enough, took only 2 or 3 minutes. The aggravating part is that they told me I can't reset the code. Every time I loose power to the radio I'm supposed to make a trip to the dealer.

Ruckmjr said:
Same problem here. I bought the car used and don't have the unlock code. I had my car worked on and the power was disconnected. When I got the car back, the radio was in loc mode. The dealer fixed it easy enough, took only 2 or 3 minutes. The aggravating part is that they told me I can't reset the code. Every time I loose power to the radio I'm supposed to make a trip to the dealer.

I have seen some devices that plug into the lighter that are supposed to keep that from happening. I do not know whether they work. Has anyone used one?

Ruckmjr said:

Yes, everybody, the red light does flash when the radio enters "LOC" mode. I really do believe the multi-step method works, if I could just get past that AM/FM step and get the final three numbers. Of course the dealer told me they could resolve it; just trying to save 48 bucks. And if you're right, that would definitely be a pain in the rear to make a trip to the dealer after every power loss. Maybe the answer is to shell out the 48 bucks and then install one of the devices that retains all settings in the event of power loss.

Bullet, I can't imagine what's wrong. Be sure less than 15 seconds pass before you press AM/FM and that you are pressing them simultaneously. Also, does the radio switch between AM and FM? Make sure both buttons actually work.

Rick180's procedure is correct: this works, including the 800 phone number. I have done it a couple of times. I should say that it did take a couple of trys the first time to manage to hit the correct buttons within the time frame. After that, no problem. (FYI, the tech at the dealership retrieved the code with his scan tool...but it was incorrect! The CAC procedure got me the right code.)

As a benefit, the red LED on the radio blinks when the ignition key is removed, looking like a whole car security system warning light.

Good luck

Ruckmjr said:

I guess I am still confused about this issue still :confused I have loss power to my radio more than once; had the battery out more than once, replaced the battery last year and my radio still works. Am I missing something here, does the radio have a flashing light when the theft deterent is set or what?

Still confused after all these years :W

Bill

hoosierdaddy said:
I guess I am still confused about this issue still :confused I have loss power to my radio more than once; had the battery out more than once, replaced the battery last year and my radio still works. Am I missing something here, does the radio have a flashing light when the theft deterent is set or what?

Still confused after all these years :W

Bill

As I understand it, you have to set the "loc" feature. When doing this you must set a code. Once you have done this, if you lose power to the radio, you must enter that code - otherwise - "loc" will continue to appear in the display. The radio will not work. My theft deterrent was obviously set by the previous owner and my radio does flash a light.

Ruckmjr said:
As I understand it, you have to set the "loc" feature. When doing this you must set a code. Once you have done this, if you lose power to the radio, you must enter that code - otherwise - "loc" will continue to appear in the display. The radio will not work. My theft deterrent was obviously set by the previous owner and my radio does flash a light.

I understand now; evidently mine was never set up this way and sounds like I better not do it now.

Hope you and yours have very happy and healthy holidays.

Bill:w

BulletTime said:
Yes, everybody, the red light does flash when the radio enters "LOC" mode. I really do believe the multi-step method works, if I could just get past that AM/FM step and get the final three numbers. Of course the dealer told me they could resolve it; just trying to save 48 bucks. And if you're right, that would definitely be a pain in the rear to make a trip to the dealer after every power loss. Maybe the answer is to shell out the 48 bucks and then install one of the devices that retains all settings in the event of power loss.
Once theft LOC has been activated, you cannot reverse the procedure, you can only unlock it. If you want to reverse the LOC, then the radio must be sent to a repair center, no dealer can do it in house.

Ken Anderson said:
Once theft LOC has been activated, you cannot reverse the procedure, you can only unlock it. If you want to reverse the LOC, then the radio must be sent to a repair center, no dealer can do it in house.[/quote

Probably should not even set it up if it hasn't been, but I guess if I put the code in it maybe alright. Is it a 4 digit code or what? I would mind having the red light flashing for a theft deternant; what do you think I should do? Thought I might check this out in the owners manual but I am a little afraid to now :ugh

Bill

I would not activate it as this model radio is unique to the Y body, even tho it looks like all other GM models. Pros know it not worth stealing.

Ken Anderson said:
I would not activate it as this model radio is unique to the Y body, even tho it looks like all other GM models. Pros know it not worth stealing.

I am pretty sure the red light does not flash on my radio; which kind of tells me this feature was never set. But I do like the red light flashing on the radio and think it may be a deterent anyway for warning off would be thiefs. Should I activate this and if so what does this entail?

Thanks,
Bill :w

Ok guys here goes,
1 Turn the ignition ON (the radio displays LOC)
2 Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 for six seocnds
3 The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Dont take forever, 15 seconds max before the next step.
4 Press the AM/FM buttom
5 The radio display changes to another 3-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
6 You now have a 6 digit number, the first three digits are from step 3 and the last 3 digits are from step 5.
7 Call 1-800-537-5140.
8 Press 1 then # (#). You'll hear invalid code, try again.
9 Press 1 3 9 0 1 0 then # You will be asked to enter your 4 or 6 digit code followed by * (*).
10 Enter the number from step 6 then *
11 Listen to the 4 digit number and write it down. it will be repeated twice.
12 turn the ignition on (the raidio displays LOC)
13 Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from step 11
14 Press the AM/FM button. the radio display changes to SEC

tropik24 said:
Ok guys here goes,
1 Turn the ignition ON (the radio displays LOC)
2 Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 for six seocnds
3 The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Dont take forever, 15 seconds max before the next step.
4 Press the AM/FM buttom
5 The radio display changes to another 3-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
6 You now have a 6 digit number, the first three digits are from step 3 and the last 3 digits are from step 5.
7 Call 1-800-537-5140.
8 Press 1 then # (#). You'll hear invalid code, try again.
9 Press 1 3 9 0 1 0 then # You will be asked to enter your 4 or 6 digit code followed by * (*).
10 Enter the number from step 6 then *
11 Listen to the 4 digit number and write it down. it will be repeated twice.
12 turn the ignition on (the raidio displays LOC)
13 Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from step 11
14 Press the AM/FM button. the radio display changes to SEC

uh? This is if you want to set the theft deternant I gather, and if in fact this is the case I would definently have to think about this for a while. Not sure I would consider doing this unless I felt more comfortable than I do now either:confused I am going to copy this for latter in the event I want to look into it; is this info also in the owners manual or not?

Thanks,
Bill :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom