Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ragtop Modifications...

WayneLBurnham

Corvette
'75 Modified Red Ragtop: "LEFTLN"
In the brief three weeks I've been here, I've found out:

• C4 seats can be made to fit in a C3
  • a pair of 10" (maybe even 12"!) subwoofers can be made to fit without losing significant "trunk" space
  • 12" 18" wheels can be made to fit in back with modest flares
  • Vintage Air works better than the original systems
  • as much as a 36 or even 40 gallon tank might be "fittable"
  • GV OD's works great w/ T400's - at least w/ man valve bodies
  • Nordskog digitals DO look great but ARE dim in the sun
  • several other things that escape me now...

Thanks for all your input so far...

I'm "gunna be a PIG!" and ask a few more:

This time it's the idea of a man I met who is the original owner of a highly modifed '80 with a 600 cube BB and a Lincoln extracted four-link:

Has anybody done or does anybody know someone who does a zipper conversion for the rear window on ragtop C3's?

This is the part that wears out terribly (and is the part that is ripped and taped on mine.) MG's and Jeeps use windows that zip in to good effect. Has anybody done this on vettes?

If no one has, does anyone know a shop that does these for these or other cars?

I'd love to get a top with about three changeable windows.

I'd be interested in being a test dummy for one of these when I get this thing changed or do it myself.

Failing that, I'd also like input on tops to get or tops to avoid.

BTW, are there liners for these things like for the hardtops? It sure looks unfinished in there - and an insulated liner would be neat if I ever find my missing bar of gold and get the A/C fixed.

My hardtop came without one but I know they are available for them. (I never use it, even though it's in great shape. It's just too easy to scratch something taking it off by yourself with no pulleys. Plus, in Texas, not two or three days go by when you don't want the top down.)

My rear window also came undone. I'm installing an Al Knock top once I have the top frame restored. One of the reasons my window released is because the top frame was bent causing stress on the top. I think if the top is installed properly on a straight frame along with keeping the window out of the sun (u.v rays) it will last a long time. No headliner, however there is a plastic liner that for the very front of the softtop. I don't have one yet but plan to get one down the road. You can see a pic of it in most vette catalogs. I don't know that the zipper would look very good, but you never know until you try I guess.

Hi
Good idea, but I'm sure the zipper conversion will cost you same or more than a new rag top canvas from AlKnoch.
They go for about 180 $ ( ZIP ) and are not impossible to install on your own.
If my back window goes blind again, I will not hesitate and replace the complete canvas again.
Let us know what you find out.
Gunther

Oh I kinda meant to do this on a new top...

I expected it would cost about that - or more. I wouldn't do that on a worn main top, but would like to to stretch the life of the next top - and to make the rear window more perfectly transparent.

Actually, talking to AL Knoch Interiors themselves to see if they would do a custom modification is a good idea, now that you've really put it in my head.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom