Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rams Horn vs. Shortie Stock vs. Headers

Rams Horn, Shortie Header or Equal Length Header

• Rams Horn

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Stock Shortie Header

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equal Length Header

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
H

Hijinx

Ok, lets get some opinions on this. Which do you guys prefer? Mainly I am talking the stock rams horn on an C2-C3, the later model C3 or C4 stock shortie header or full equal length headers. I would like to get some input as well into any flow or power gains anyone has dyno'ed using each. Thanks

Which manifold/header to use depends upon the application, and your preference towards originality, etc..

_ken :w

Ok, Ken, for the sake of the argument. Lets say, 400 HP 383 stroker.

Long tube in that case. 383 or bigger should utilize 1 3/4" primary tubes with three inch collectors (until you get REAL big that is), and stock or lightly modified 350s should use 1 5/8" primaries in order to maintain the bottom end torque.

"Shorty" headers are not much better than stock in terms of flow capacity and are mainly used where the space is cramped for anything larger, or if someone just wanted nicer looking exhaust manifolds.

I have the 2 1/2 " rams horns on the '59. Flow better but look stock.

Tom

I've always heard for years those rams horns were some of the better manifold's for small block Chevy's. Good old Zora's handiwork..

The Ram's Horns are definitely an improvement over the "log type" exhaust manifolds used previously. ;)

I am very interested to hear about horsepower and torque figures using the Rams horn type exhaust manifold. After Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive conversion I found the only manifolds I could get to fit were the Rams Horns. Either that or have a very expensive custom setup manufactured. I cant seem to source any popular brands that will fit. Is there any US websites that offer dimensions? I am also thinking of getting some aluminium cylinder heads, Brutus recommends the AFR, where from and how much?
I don't want much.
Cheers
Dave M

Equal Length Headers ! :cool
The ram's horn are good as far as manifolds.

From what I've read, shortie or block huggers flow only a little bit better than 2" ram's horns. Ram's horns flow better than other types of GM cast iron manifolds. The 2-1/2" is probably the best, if you can find them. Equal length/tuned headers will flow the best. For a stock, or mild mod 350, use 1-5/8" into a 3" collector then run 2-1/2" duals back to good flowing mufflers.

I went with TPIS head-back system, about the only one available for the C-4, after rejecting a custom made Y-pipe required for the SLP stainless shorty headers, I bought earlier.

These new, shorties ARE AVAILABLE, by the way. Write me!

Input I got said, there'd be little difference between the long tube and short tubes, for Hi-perf street, limited track driving, with my engine, as Ken and others inimate. Performance diffs being minimal, I went with ease of install, overall.

The SLPs are very well made, performance gains are credible and documented, and the SS will never look bad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom