Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Re-routing of parking brake cable

Rookie Vette owner

Corvette
1973 Blue Coupe
I have had the parking brake clip on the trailing arm moved to the top of the a-arm for tire clearance, so how do I route the cable now? Outside of arm or inside? I have heard that routing on the inside makes the cable too long!

Installing a 4-speed auto in mine, also drove me to this same issue, for the transmission's cross member for a 200-4r moves the E-Brake pulley position aft about 4 inches, and this creates the same condition on the E-Brake cables at the rear.

What I did, was to add a spacer at the point where the rear E-brake joins the the E-brake's handle cable.

Perhaps, you can see the best route to yield the least slop and then make up for that play with a spacer. :shrug

I have had the parking brake clip on the trailing arm moved to the top of the a-arm for tire clearance, so how do I route the cable now? Outside of arm or inside? I have heard that routing on the inside makes the cable too long!
I also moved the clip to the top of the trailing arm. Routed it inside the arm -- the other way would put the cable back where it started. I didn't try but I don't think it's even possible to route the cable outside the arm once the clip has been moved. Once it was back together and I adjusted the center pull, there was plenty of adjustment left when it was set.

Attachments

• Rear Axle003.jpg
    Rear Axle003.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 133
I also moved the clip to the top of the trailing arm. Routed it inside the arm -- the other way would put the cable back where it started. I didn't try but I don't think it's even possible to route the cable outside the arm once the clip has been moved. Once it was back together and I adjusted the center pull, there was plenty of adjustment left when it was set.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot this weekend when I get back in the garage. By the way, the yellow funnel? Vent? Filling diff? Thanks again. Tom

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot this weekend when I get back in the garage. By the way, the yellow funnel? Vent? Filling diff? Thanks again. Tom
Filling the differential. I used to just squeeze the lube in with a plastic bottle but spilled quite a bit. No big deal when it was $2 a quart. Piece of new, left-over 1/2-inch copper, clean heater hose and funnel. By accident it was just the right length to hang on the fender lip so every drop went in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom