Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Re: Vacuum Headlights.

B

buddyV

Re: Vacuum Headlights.

Did the 81 vette use a vacuum filter, and vacuum check valve, in their headlight vacuum system from the factory like other years? I know the parts book said it does but, I have seen some pics with and with out. thank you, Hans

I don't know about the filter, but mine does have a check valve in the power booster!...

I think only owners with an 81 can answer this question (looking at the same topic on the forum.com ;)) As far as I know all the vacuum lines on my 81 were original and there wasn't a filter or check valve in the lines for the headlights. There is a valve in the line for the brake booster. :)

Groeten Peter

Bill81vette, and Peer81
Power booster, are you referring to the brakes? My system looks factory and I don't have the check valve, or filter for the headlights. I looked in the assembley manual and they show a drawing but, no numbers. I've seen some 81's with, and some without, maybe owers have removed. Just trying to find out which is factoy correct. Maybe one is St.Louis and the other B.G. My vette is St.Louis born.

I have heard about the component in between the power booster and the manifold vacuum port referred to as a power booster filter.

Perhaps it also incorporates a check valve??;shrug

As far as the headlights, I am not sure if they do include a check valve or filter.

I do believe that is what buddyv is referring to...they are the only ones in the vacuum system that I'm aware of

The valve and filter Buddy is reffering to are on or just behind the intake manifold. On the back of the intake there is a 2 or 3 way vacuumport (one for the TH350) and some others. One is for the headlights, heatercontrolles and cruise control. Mine didn't have the valve or filter but I've put them on now. There are some othere errors in the Shop Manual so don't beleave everything that is in it :)

The brake booster (power booster) is the one for the brakes. I think it was a filter to prevent fuel vapor to enter the brake system (booster). I thought it also was a valve but I think the valve is inside the booster. :)

Groeten Peter

Perr81, Did you notice any difference by adding the valve and filter? You talk about errors in the shop manual. Check the circuit break location for the power seats in the GM 1981 shop manual; way wrong.

Thank you for your help.
Hans

The valve and filter Buddy is reffering to are on or just behind the intake manifold. On the back of the intake there is a 2 or 3 way vacuumport (one for the TH350) and some others. One is for the headlights, heatercontrolles and cruise control. Mine didn't have the valve or filter but I've put them on now. There are some othere errors in the Shop Manual so don't beleave everything that is in it :)

The brake booster (power booster) is the one for the brakes. I think it was a filter to prevent fuel vapor to enter the brake system (booster). I thought it also was a valve but I think the valve is inside the booster. :)

Groeten Peter

Groeten Peter

You are correct, here's a shot of that filter..
Sorry for the big picture, but I wanted to make sure you can see it..

66xcz9h.jpg

The 81 definately did have a filter in between the carb and the checkvalve. This was for the headlight system. I just ordered new ones for my car from Ecklers

Did the 81 vette use a vacuum filter, and vacuum check valve, in their headlight vacuum system from the factory like other years? I know the parts book said it does but, I have seen some pics with and with out. thank you, Hans

The 81 definately did have a filter in between the carb and the checkvalve. This was for the headlight system. I just ordered new ones for my car from Ecklers

:)Yep. Filter and a 3 port check valve. Without the check valve, the headlights will pop up when accelerating.

Would these pictures help?

Oh yeah! I remember that mot$#$. I hate removing the shield, for this check valve and the wire looms are a PITA to keep in their proper place.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom