Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear Crossover Brake Line

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
I'm helping a friend that just purchased a 73 BB. It's a survivor, that needs some TLC. The rear crossover Brake Line has a leak. I have a few questions.

The first is the obvious, how hard is it to replace this entire section? Secondly to transport the vehicle is it possible to disconnect this section from the rear line block, and insert a plug? This would prevent fluid loss. The alternative would be to cut out the bad section and replace it for the time being. The line is fairly tight to the frame so my thinking this may be difficult.

Thanks

Your front brakes will carry you through a few sensibly driven miles. That's a divided master cylinder and if the fronts aren't leaking it's drivable. If you're talknig about the line running front to back I'd replace it with a reproduction line. Your worst job will be the joint at the block in the rear. The wheel-to-wheel line can be an after market line hand formed to fit, easy change. I drove the '72 with no rear brakes for some time before I finally changed the front to rear line. Ended up changing everything from the front distribution block back. That included the emergency brake, parts, shoes, pads, cylinder kits, and hoses as one fix just created another problem.

The long line that runs from the distribution block to the rear and across the real cross member is the most dificult line to change short of a body off. It can be done, but it's not fun. As for transporting the car, if you mean to load it on a trailer or a roll back, sure you can do that. If you mean to disable half of the brake system and then drive it, knowing that the front half of the brake system is likely in the same condition as the rear, I would consider that to be less than smart. A trailer is less expensive than fiberglass body work.

I cut the bad section out and replaced it using new brake line and compression fittings. I'll eventually attempt to change the entire section from the driver side rear block to the passenger side rear block.

Thanks

...I cut the bad section out and replaced it using new brake line and compression fittings. I'll eventually attempt to change the entire section from the driver side rear block to the passenger side rear block...

So much for survivor.

;shrug

I hope you mean you used a union fitting and reflaired the line! A compression fitting is not to be used to repair brake lines! If that comes apart under a panic stop your in for a scarry ride!

I hope you mean you used a union fitting and reflaired the line! A compression fitting is not to be used to repair brake lines! If that comes apart under a panic stop your in for a scarry ride!

"black 81 vette" is right. Compression fittings are unsafe for use in hydraulic brake systems. Worse, they are most likely to fail when the brake pressure is highest and pressure is highest during a "panic" or high-effort stop.

If you have repaired a brake pipe with compression fittings. Stop driving the car and re-do the repair using steel brake pipes with the proper flairing tools and flaired fittings.

The rear crossover brake line pretty easy to replace, especially if you buy pre-bent and assembled lines. Inline Tube makes OEM brake line sets for our C3s and the complete set is $110 plus shipping. If you are concerned with originality, even the fittings are the original colors. If you want to upgrade the system to stainless, it's $30 more but someone might deduct points for non-stock parts.

To replace the brake line, loosen two fittings and unbolt three clips. Here's a look at the AIM page for a '72 (the lines are the same on a '73):
AIM-RearBrakeLines.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom