Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear End Gears

The problem really comes and goes. Thats why it is so hard for me to put my finger on it. When I jack it up and play with it it doesnt make the sound. When I drop it back down it doesnt make the sound. I drive it smooth its still ok. I run the crap outta it its still ok. then all of a sudden it comes back.

I hang my head out of the car and it sounds as if bearings are crunching but its not a constant. It definatly is related to the RPM of the tire as the faster I go the faster the crunch happens. Then I jack it up and start over with not being able to find it.

Wouldnt rear bearings be bad no matter what? as in the sound would be constant and wouldnt go away?

nothing is rubbing and its DEFINATLY a metalic sound.

I had the same problem with mine, it seemed that when I jacked it up, rotated the wheels and let it back down and drove it the sound went away for a while, but it always came back after driving it for a little while. It was the bearing in the drivers rear. Not saying this is definitely your problem, but it sounds like the same symptoms.

Does the inner rim feel hot compared to the others after you drive it?

Isn't it your diff? It never hurts to change the diff oil with the extra lube for the clutch packs. Also if you never changed the u-joints, mine still turned but when I took them apart there wasn't any grease inside so it would have been a matter of time. Checking the endplay in the rear bearings isn't to difficult, get a magnetic stand and a micrometer, disconnect halfshaft and wheel + brakedisk and measure the play :)

You can look at it from both ways. These cars are 25 years or older... Drive it till something brakes or replace it before it brakes. For example, when a u-joint brakes you're in alot more trouble then those few bucks for new ones right now.
Good luck!

Groeten Peter

Problem found! Drivers side rear wheel bearing. $90 tow bill and the cars back home. Now to fixing it......

Wheel bearing is very difficult install. Mine are starting to go bad but will be alright for the summer. But my mechanic will do them in fall. Takes long hours to get them right. I would go see a Mechanic if I were you and not any mechanic. Go see Someone with corvette experience that knows what he's doing

I am running 3.55 rear gears attached to a 700R4. I am very happy with the setup. Shifts into OD around 48 and running around 1700 rpm at that speed. I did have some setup issues, but did work thru all of them...hell that is what is fun about having a classic

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom