Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear End NOISE.. Click/Clunk Sounds Like U-Joints

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
Scott81 said:
Bud- we'll have a couple beers and tell BIG lies to each other at the Baymont...if I make it without using some of my C4 stash to fix the vette. ;)

Craig- I will definately post what they have to say about the yoke movement specs, hopefully it's something simple and I can be back on the road next week.

The Rare81 is going back into the shop this coming week. I've found a CORVETTE Shop in Vacaville, CA that "I hope" found the noise problems in the Rare81's :booty

Here is some history on the Noise:
Sounds like the needle bearings in the U-joints are gone. You know like dragging a coat hanger around. I have been chasing this noise now for almost two years.. so far here is what has been done:
  1. All new U-joints (twice) (me once & a shop the second time)
  2. both trailing arms replaced (Corvette Shop)
  3. left side spindle replaced (Corvette Shop)
  4. both rear bearings replaced (Corvette Shop)
  5. front pumkin donut replaced (me)
  6. drive shafts (all Three) balanced (speed shop)
  7. new ss calipers all the way around (me front-Corvette shop rears)
  8. new emergency brakes (me)
  9. pumkin out cleaned and back in (Rear End shop)
  10. Rear Spring out apart back together (me)
  11. New shocks all the way around AC Delco Gas (me)
  12. Suspension Rubber replacement (me)

After all this, there is/was still a click/clank/clunk when moving forward or backward. Also when I would let off the gas it would clunk/click/clank.. :mad

Well the Corvette shop in Vacaville Corvette Express found part of the noise this last Friday...
the brake pads where moving about an 1/8" in the calipers.. so everytime I would change directions, backup or go forward they provided the CLICK noise... now for the clunk... there is about an 1/8" or more in out movement...

So, as soon as the parts come in.. It's back to the shop for the final operation before Bowling Green..

I realize this is a little long, but, I thought if it helps one person, it is worth it..

Scott.. have you found the noise in yours yet??? Check the friggen brake pads... with the tire off and in gear move the lugs forwards and backwards and the brake pads move until they hit the caliper then click. :mad

I won't mention the Corvettetec Shop in Stockton that I wouldn't recommend to ANYONE... :gap
BudD
:w

Bud,

Glad you found the problem, a buddy of mine is coming over in the morning with his trailer and we will haul the red money pit up to Van Steel and let Art fix the problem. I found that the right side diff yoke has way too much play in it to drive an hour up to St. Pete. Hopefully it will be an easy fix for them and I'll have it back by the time Brutus gets here.

Bud,

I finally got the red money pit up to Van Steel today, Art took a look at it and thinks it was a broken C-clip...or it just popped off, he said it does happen although rarely, just my luck. If all goes well I'll have it back on Friday, no hurry really just as long as it's back for the trip.

He's also got a box load of the new heavy duty U-joint caps for us small block owners, he's going to put those on for me as well...I'll post pics of the new goodies when I get it back.

Any word on yours? Fixed already?

Fingers Crossed for this Saturday

If the parts get there this week ... They'll have it done by Saturday.. I explained my situation three weeks ago and I didn't pull any punches... JUST THE FACTS.. I think Vinnie and Joe Understand

BudD

followup:
I ended up having the entire rearend third member replaced, found the "differential cross shaft" worn. NO MORE PROBLEMS..

have a question

The Rare81 is going back into the shop this coming week. I've found a CORVETTE Shop in Vacaville, CA that "I hope" found the noise problems in the Rare81's :booty

Here is some history on the Noise:

Sounds like the needle bearings in the U-joints are gone. You know like dragging a coat hanger around. I have been chasing this noise now for almost two years.. so far here is what has been done:
  1. All new U-joints (twice) (me once & a shop the second time)
  2. both trailing arms replaced (Corvette Shop)
  3. left side spindle replaced (Corvette Shop)
  4. both rear bearings replaced (Corvette Shop)
  5. front pumkin donut replaced (me)
  6. drive shafts (all Three) balanced (speed shop)
  7. new ss calipers all the way around (me front-Corvette shop rears)
  8. new emergency brakes (me)
  9. pumkin out cleaned and back in (Rear End shop)
  10. Rear Spring out apart back together (me)
  11. New shocks all the way around AC Delco Gas (me)
  12. Suspension Rubber replacement (me)
After all this, there is/was still a click/clank/clunk when moving forward or backward. Also when I would let off the gas it would clunk/click/clank.. :mad

Well the Corvette shop in Vacaville Corvette Express found part of the noise this last Friday...
the brake pads where moving about an 1/8" in the calipers.. so everytime I would change directions, backup or go forward they provided the CLICK noise... now for the clunk... there is about an 1/8" or more in out movement...

So, as soon as the parts come in.. It's back to the shop for the final operation before Bowling Green..

I realize this is a little long, but, I thought if it helps one person, it is worth it..

Scott.. have you found the noise in yours yet??? Check the friggen brake pads... with the tire off and in gear move the lugs forwards and backwards and the brake pads move until they hit the caliper then click. :mad

I won't mention the Corvettetec Shop in Stockton that I wouldn't recommend to ANYONE... :gap
BudD

I Also have a 81 corvette that I have been chasing that same noise for the last two years I have done everything you have done plus more I have the problem at low speeds when the brake is applied and cornering but it is only there at low speeds and when I am off the gas. How are they fixing your problem with yours and did this fix that problem. you may also email me at dolben13@yahoo.com thanks

:w dolben13,

Welcome the Corvette Action Center :thumb

I ended up having the entire rearend third member replaced, found the "differential cross shaft" worn. NO MORE PROBLEMS..

No noise or problems :thumb

I sent you a PM also ;)

Welcome aboard enjoy the :Steer

Bud

rear noise

I had a similar noise in my 1980. It turned out that at some previous time that one of the half shaft u joints had gone bad it had worn the spindle yoke away and left a pocket where the u joint was flapping around in the yoke. It was hard to see and I missed it when I replaced the u joints, replaced the yoke and no more noise.

Good Luck
Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom