Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear end noise

Blookah

Corvette
1994 LT1 Torch Red Coupe
I have a 94 Coupe LT1 automatic and I have a noise coming from the right rear end. It's a knocking noise that corresponds with my speed and tire rotation. The faster I go the faster it knocks but it usually only occurs when the car is cold and as I drive it gets less noticeable and then goes away altogether. It also is more noticeable when making a right hand turn. What's my problem and how should I fix it?
Thanks,
BG

I have a 94 Coupe LT1 automatic and I have a noise coming from the right rear end. It's a knocking noise that corresponds with my speed and tire rotation. The faster I go the faster it knocks but it usually only occurs when the car is cold and as I drive it gets less noticeable and then goes away altogether. It also is more noticeable when making a right hand turn. What's my problem and how should I fix it?
Thanks,
BG
I would say wheel bearing or possibly a universal joint. Jack the car up and hold the wheel at 6 O'clock and 12 and see if there is any play back and forth. Do the same at 3 and 9. If there is more than a very small amount of play, you have a wheel bearing problem. You can also put the car on a good set of jack stands and go underneath. Watch for any slop in the two universal joints on the half-shaft. There should not be any.

The real experts should be along shortly, but this will give you something to start with.

Do you have a Factory Service Manual? If you are thinking about tackling this yourself, you will need one.

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom